• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Creating your own QBASIC programs and using them within a BBS

@Plasma - Thank you, that was exactly it. Now I'm left with an ever-increasing number issues. So I think I'm going to switch to using C++.

The issues I face with QBasic are not going to be easily surmountable:

• Need to scan for special escape sequences, like backspace, etc.
  • Colors aren't working in the current sdout method
  • Keeping track of cursor position when using arrow keys, which might involve figuring out *where* the cursor is at to begin with.
  • Any other security concerns that someone might try to use to sneak in code that should not be ran (I know, it's QBASIC and Telnet, so security is already gone)

This has been interesting though, and I would still would like to learn (just for the sake of learning) how to make the method more complete so as to be able to scan for escape sequences and handle them appropriately. But this is re-inventing the wheel when it's not necessary for this hobby project. Borland C++ 2.0 will suffice.
If it's an option, I know there were a number of very good Pascal libraries for creating door games/apps which does all the ANSI/Terminal stuff for you.

I'm looking at the complexities of these answers a bit flabbergasted at the hoops y'all are jumping through... I mean for gee-wiz

Code:
gwbasic.exe filename.bas <com1 >com1

Job done. don't forget you can redirect input via < just as you do output with >

If you have a executable that at least maps to console, you could also invoke it with its own command.com if you have the memory.

Code:
command com1 /C /F yourprog.exe

I had thought that when running a program -- but NOT the editor -- so long as you do not use the /g (aka no snow prevention) option, qbasic used stdin/stdout via the OS / command.com shell setting. Don't quote me on that. If that's true, just replace yourprog.exe onward with your call to qbasic.

Back