• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Data on 143 & 133 family parts from Amphenol Printed Circuit Connectors Catalog PC5

inotarobot

Veteran Member
Data on 143 & 133 family parts from Amphenol Printed Circuit Connectors Catalog PC5

Hi all,

well it seems I am the first to post in this forum.

I am trying to find information on a specific family of Amphenol connectors, used in the EAI TR-20 analog computer; and likely other EAI products.

I am really urgently trying to get clear information on the 143 and 133 family parts especially the male 133-022-23 which as far as I can tell ?, is 22 rectangular flat blade pin Male connector with round pins top and both of sides, at right angles to the blades to mount into a Printed Circuit board

They are detailed in "Amphenol Printed Circuit Connectors Catalog PC5", a copy of which came up on eBay recently, for a only $20

amphenol cat 2.JPG

amphenol cat 1.JPG

Seller in USA indicated they would not ship outside usa.

I sent seller a message, asking at least to pay for a scan of pages relating to the 133 and 143 family parts, or can they ship book to Australia.

SADLY they did NOT even respond. As a generalization, I note that USA sellers, that a/. only ship to usa, and b/. had very mixed type of items for sale (like more household trash-flee market bits) don't bother to reply to ebay emails that come from outside USA.

Seems this item was sold to 'best offer'. Hopefully it is someone on this forum or is friends of someone on the forum.

Had I not been sidetracked, what with my ladys medical appointments and Christmas, that when I had not heard back from seller, I should have asked someone on this group in USA, to buy it for me. I would have paid $20 via paypal into their account.

Hope someone can help with either a scan on 143 & 133 family parts ? or even the Catalog PC5 or at least does anyone have any of the male 133-022-23 connectors ?

IMG_20130902_033537.jpg

This is the DC amplifer that has the Amphenol connector I am trying to identify. I think its the 133-022-23. Last number indicates the type of pins on the pcb side. Since this is soldered to the PCB, I cannot read the part number which is on the reverse side. I am making assumption the -23 is this connector, but thats from reading the EAI spare parts manual. I really like to confirm by viewing item or seeing pic and info in a catalog.

regards
David

Last edited:
I asked about these a long time ago and got no reply. They were also used on PDP-8s. If the TR-20 has the same connectors as the TR-10 then the sockets are double sided, but on the backplane both sides are commoned, so although the "Male" connector on the PCB is doube sided, it does not matter, both sides have the same signals on them. I built my extender card using a Tandy/Radioshack prototyping card I happened to pick up at a local Ham Rally. I think parts 276-190, 276-180 & 276-152 will fit the sockets on the back plane.

What did you want to know about the connectors?

Hi Dave, thanks for asking what I needed to know. I should have got back to you sooner. I was really after the 3rd field digits in the part number that defined the tail forms and orientation of same.

Finally got a copy of the Amphenol Data for the 133 series board adaptors and mating 143 series receptacles.

Hope attached image data can get added to Bitsavers also.

It was very important to get as it shows and lists part number for the "board side" pin variants called 'contact tail style' as defined by the 3rd field number in the full part number.

In my case I know know 133-22- ?? for the EAI TR-20 amplifiers I am searching for, have the ?? being = to -23 having 0.40" diameter dip solder tails at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and being 0.156" long.

However I can also settle for -83 that has 0.40" diameter dip solder tails at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and being shorter at 0.125" long

so if anyone has or knows of 1 or more 133-022-23 or as option 133-022-83 then please let me know. and I will -> :dogrun: to get them

regards
david

4d1CMDL.jpg

I would really like a couple of these as well. At present using the Tandy prototype boards....

Dave are you also needing the 22 pin ones ?

I am beginning to think I will try 3d printing the 22 pin 2 piece bodies and cannabolize some 6 or 12 pin ones, to get the metal contacts.

Either that or I investigate what is minimum quantity I can order as a special run from some Asian company :)sneaky: :wink::wink:)

Might be that I just get the contacts made there and 3d print the 2 piece body.

I might miss something but isn't this the same type of connector used all over the place in HP98x0 calculator 3.96 mm pitch edge connector?

I bought some connector when repairing my HPs. I think both Sullins and EDAC have at least the females. Sullins seems to have male as well.

Mouser carry EDAC while Digikey has Sullins.

I might miss something but isn't this the same type of connector used all over the place in HP98x0 calculator 3.96 mm pitch edge connector?

I bought some connector when repairing my HPs. I think both Sullins and EDAC have at least the females. Sullins seems to have male as well.

Mouser carry EDAC while Digikey has Sullins.

Hi Matislind,

I have looked at Sullins catalog and not seen the male type with the tails on opposite sides ie 133-022-23. So I have sent support at Sullins a request to find out if they make them or if they could make them, and how much for 50 or 100 of.

As I expected this American companies support email, replied within a few minutes acknowledging my inquiry and giving me request Number to use in follow up.

Cannot say that about a lot of other countries online support.

thanks for that lead.

I will now look at Mouser again, but think I had already looked there with no joy

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just had the following helpful reply from Sullins.

Naomi Hartley (SULLINS)
Aug 25, 5:02 PM PDT

Hi David,

Upon further review if a drop in replacement is not needed, possible suggestion is to replace AMP part numbers with Sullins male and female connector.

Suggested part numbers would be:
143-022-03 ECM22DSUH (dwg C12614)
143-022-01 ECM22DSEH-S243 (dwg C1187)
133-022-23 GCM22MMFD (Preliminary DWG# C12614)
Drawings are linked below my name.

In the Amphenol 133- series each pair of contact heads are shorting, or in contact with each other.

The contacts heads on the Sullins cross pins are independent, which may or may not make a difference.

We will be happy to send samples to allow you to evaluate. Please let me know if you like for us to send.

Best Regards,

Naomi Hartley | Sullins Connector Solutions | www.sullinscorp.com | 888.774.3100

====

so thats the latest.

I will ask her if it is acceptable to have the pdf's displayed here or whether I can send them to Al to add to Bitsavers. BTW the drawings are multi page and VERY detailed.

Dave (g4ugm) since you and I are outside USA, and Naomi is offering samples, perhaps one of the USA members here, that has an EAI TR-10 or TR-20, can offer to have their address used to send the samples to, so they can evaluate the issues of mating with the AMP originals, and post results on here.

I am lead to understand these are also used on the early PDP's and HP calculators etc

Last edited:
Back