• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Debian 11

Yup--just upgraded a couple of systems running Buster to Bullseye. I partition my disks, so that / resides on its own 50GB partition and /home on a different one. Rather than upgrade in place, I learned to simply re-install the new distro from scratch and then add any needed packages. No problems at all.

Just upgraded a couple more systems with Bullseye that had hosted Buster. Clean install, while keeping the /home directory. Make adjustments to lightdm to enable autologin, edit the apt sources.list to include contrib and non-free repos, add my account to the sudo group and re-install applications, (I keep a list for handy reference). Even runs dosemu from the stretch repo. This time, almost easy.

Reading through the release notes, it's stated that using something other than systemd for init is better supported. That should be welcome news to the anti-systemd people.

Last edited:
One thing that I would recommend is de-installing Firefox ESR and installing the current stable branch. ESR is getting a little creaky and doesn't always play well with other programs like Thunderbird. You can use your ESR profile by selecting it in the about: profiles page.

Personally I've had no issues at all with Firefox ESR. This 3.2ghz P4 HT system with LMDE4 upgraded to version 94 last week.

I just put Bullseye on a 2.8GHz P4 and it went pretty smoothly (my first time doing a Debian install). I only have 512MB RAM so some terrible swapping when using Firefox. Really could use an SSD and more RAM if I keep this machine.

Back