• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC PDP-11/03 for sale

mjleone

I have a DEC system for which I am trying to find a new home. The system was used in an engineering lab for years and the project came to a close and this system was boxed up for storage. The owner of the system said it was all operational when it was put into storage.

Below is a list of what I have.

DEC PDP-11/03 SYSTEM

QTY DESCRIPTION

1 BA11-MA H9270 Chassis w/4x4 Backplane, H780C Power Supply and Front Panel
1 M7264 KD11F CPU
1 KEV11 Extended Arithmetic Function
1 M7955 MSV11-CD 32KB MOS Memory Card
1 M7946 RXV11 LSI Interface
1 M9400 LSI Ref Boot Cable Conn
1 M7940 DLV11 Serial Line Interface

Additional Components

QTY DESCRIPTION
1 M7726 Floppy Disk Controller Board
1 M7727 Read/Write Control Board
1 RX01 Power Supply Board
1 M7955 MSV11-CD 32KB MOS Memory Card
1 DLV11J 4 Line Serial Interface
1 M7940 DLV11 Serial Line Interface w/ RS-232 DTE connector
2 RX01 Disk Drives

There are also 3 transformers and capacitors, as well as a few miscellaneous cables (please refer to the pictures, see link below)

Library of DEC books and other publications

1. pdp-11 software source book second edition Vol. 1 & 2 (2 books)
2. pdp8/e, pdp8/m, & pdp8/f small computer handbook 1973
3. digital equipment international technician’s hand book 1974
4. introduction to programming 1972
5. logic hand book 1973-74
6. pdp8/a minicomputer handbook 1976-77
7. peripherals handbook 1981-1982
8. microcomputers and memories
9. pdp-11 handbook (pdp11/04/24/34a/44/70) 1981
10. terminals and communications handbook 1981-1982
11. logic handbook 1975-1976
12. pocket programming card for pdp-11 computers
13. logic handbook 1977-78 (2 exact copies)
14. microcomputer handbook 1976-77
15. pdp-11 software handbook 1976
16. LSI-11, PDP-11/03 user manual (part number EK-LSI11-TM-001)
17. PDP-11 Basic Programming manual (part number DEC-11-AJPB-D
18. Introduction to DEC Drawings and Logic (part number DEC-00-XIDLA-B-D
19. miscellaneous marketing brochures parts catalogs price lists etc.

System Drawings

Floppy disc controller (M7726-0-1)

RXV11 LSI 11 Interface (M7946-0-1)

Read/write control (M7727-0-1)

H771-A-Power connections (H771-A-1)

RX01 Power board Assembly (7010718-0-0)

RX01 Power supply (5411398-0-1)

LSI REF. BOOT CONN. (M9400-0-1)

Floppy controller firm ware (RX01-0-2)

4k RAM (M7944-0-1)

H780 Power Supply (5411776-0-0) [pcb layout]

H780 power supply (5411776-0-1) [schematic drawing]

Software:

The system comes with eleven (11) 8" floppies with RT11FB ver. 03B-00 real-time operating system and various utilities, included are hard copy printouts of the floppy directories.

Pictures of all the above are available at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1960&id=100000050842449&l=b82a697a9d

Please email me with any questions. Thank you.

email? can't I just ask questions here?
Also, where are you located? Shipping all that may or may not be expensive.

Sounds like quite the system you have. I second NeXT in asking if we could just ask you some questions on here.

I'm wondering (though I'm sure I know the answer) are you in the United States? If so, would you be willing to sell your '11/03 to a denizen of Canada?

Finally, for how much are you selling the system? (That's very useful/important information to know for a (relatively) poor undergrad student!)

I have a similar system that is looking for a new home. It has been a long time since I've had it running, but at the time it was decommissioned it was all working. If I remember correctly, I've got the following:

2 x systems with the following configuration (each):
pdp11v03 in the totally vintage Formica-topped coffee table 19-inch cabinet with metal caster wheels
32KW (64KB) RAM memory
Dual RX01 8-inch floppy disk and controller
Decwriter II printing terminal (LA36)
DLV-11J 4-port serial interface

additional peripherals:
1 x Heathkit H19 video terminal (put it together myself!)
1 x LSI (Lear Siegler Industries) Ballistic printer (dot-matrix line printer)

I'm sure I also have some manuals and disks, but I can't guarantee that I can find any of that. If someone is seriously interested in this then I will seriously look for the paperwork.

System is located near Schenectady, NY. Please contact me if you are interested. It would be nice to see it end up in a good home and not on the scrap heap.

-DWass

DWass,

If you are offering the systems for free, I would certainly appreciate one of the 11/03s. If you have ever looked at my albums here on the forums, you'll see that I built up an 11/04 from a pile of parts. It's my only unibus machine.

I'm in Westchester. I used to work in Schenectady though, for guess who?

Lou

Schenectady, eh? If Lou doesn't end up with it, I'd certainly be interested -- I live in Troy, so it's just a short drive for me! I'd really love to have one of those DECWriter IIs as well...I've got several cases of wide-format green bar just begging to be used!

Lou, if both systems are still available, I can grab both and hold one here for you. It'd take ~20 minutes off your drive.

Glitch,

You are quite a gentleman. The OP has not responded to my PM yet. He has two systems, and so if you snag both, indeed it would save me 1/2 hour to only have to go to Troy (however, it has been a few years since I saw the giant meatball on top of building 37 and it would bring back memories of the good old days!)

I have to admit though, as I was driving to work this morning did it only occur to me that this is an 11/03. For whatever reason I had a picture of an 11/05 in my mind, which is why I even bothered to mention the 11/04 (unibus, like an 11/05) in my earlier response. But, I've never had an 11/03 either, so it might be a nice addition (although we have tons of other qbus stuff).

And Glitch, if you do get an LA36, I have an NOS real dec LA36 ribbon for you.

Lou

No problem! I certainly don't mind helping other vintage computer nuts out!

I've got a 4-slot QBUS card cage with most of an (untested) LSI-11 in it, but it's a far cry from a full system. I think I brought it up on the Lambda variable bench supply and at least determined that nothing is shorted, but I'd have to build an operator's panel and console cable to even think about getting it to do more than consume power. Fortunately, it's my understanding that the LSI-11s had ODT built in to the CPU chip set. I'd really like at least a larger card cage, though and the 11/03 (if still available) sounds like just the ticket, especially with the location!

RSX11M+: yes, finding it in 8.5x11 pin feed format was expensive enough! I found 6 or 7 cases of the wide format stuff at the YMCA for $1/case, so I bought them all and stored all but one at my boss's place in Virginia (he's got a wide-format SpinWriter that he still uses). If you want some, let me know!

Glitch,

Next time you come down this way, let me know. I have a BA11-N I can give you to jump start your system. You must have posted what cards you already have and what you needed but I don't remember. A case of that paper might look nice under my LA36!

Lou

... I found 6 or 7 cases of the wide format stuff at the YMCA for $1/case, so I bought them all and stored all but one at my boss's place in Virginia (he's got a wide-format SpinWriter that he still uses). If you want some, let me know!

ZOWIE! $7 -That's a gift.

I'd love a box or two, but you'd have to toss it out the window of your car while driving through Cincinnati to make it worthwhile, shipping is so expensive these days.

Best thing to do is keep it and enjoy it, but the offer is very appreciated. If you and Lou do get together, lift a glass [or two] for me, will ya?

Back