• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC units on ebay

The madness continues:

No wonder I have been struggling to find an 8/e front-panel. They all hang off walls. 😡
😜

Wow - the front panel didn't sell for US$2995 so the seller now relisted it for US$3500. :ROFLMAO:

Here is a cashed up Ebay bidder who really wants these items:

US$500 for an M8320 Bus Load: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275525972882
US$800 for a PDP-8/e front panel PCB: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275525961401

Same high bidder for both. Still 1 day 14 hours to go so there is a chance these will go for even more. :eek:

Oh well there is an Apple 1 for sale on Ebay for a bargain price of US$1.5 million. 😜

Hmmm - is there something I don't know about M8320 Bus Loads?

In addition to the one in my previous post for US$500, there is a second one in combination with a M847 boot loader bid up to a silly US$800 see https://www.ebay.com/itm/204136831468

The bid times (about 6:15 PST) suggests that it may be one person bidding for both M8320 boards.

These are both very basic Omnibus boards. There is nothing special about them and broken ones are easily repairable.

At the same time CPU boards seem to languish at US$51 for a M8300+M8310 and US$96 for a M8330.

What is going on at the moment?

With these crazy prices I wonder if I should start selling. 😜

Hmmm - is there something I don't know about M8320 Bus Loads?

I doubt it. I thought that combo sale was an odd one and if nobody else had bid I was going to just to make sure it didn't go to scrap. But there was already several bids on it as I would have expected.

The M847 is the only rare board of the ones you mentioned. And with Roland's replacement there is no NEED for one in a system you plan to keep working. Actually, the M847 is just a convenience and was never necessary. There was always the option to hand toggle in the boot code.

However, I don't have a real one and I want one. My budget is too low until the insanity ends or I get really lucky.

As for selling... I would rather they go to good homes and I get nothing for them than break them up into pieces to maximize profit.

Looks like out of a DEC DataSystem570. It had a blue color scheme on the front panel.
Altho it looks like someone replaced the leftmost switch with dark vs light blue in the eBay listing.

dds570.jpg

Looks like another 8E board set, but it's off to a slow start at $500. At least the M8320 is the 'newer' rev. (with 3 discrete transistors), but I'm not seeing a M833 (old style timing generator) in any of the photos.

And we have another one: PDP 11 front panel for $2500 - although I was not aware PDP 11 come in blue?
Indeed, as has been pointed out, that's a DS570 front panel. That's a PDP-11/70 in formal wear. They mounted them in racks like the VAX-11/780 rather than the normal H960s. Dec went through a phase where they were color-coding machines and blue was for business systems (just like the more popular "Big Blue").
pa120560.jpg

While here we are complaining/laughing/crying about silly Ebay prices for old DEC computer components, over at Julien's Auctions someone just spent more than US$200,000 on a pair of old Birkenstock sandals owned and worn by the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs - setting a record for the highest price ever paid for a pair of sandals at auction, according to the auction house (https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/steve-jobs-birkenstocks-auction-intl-scli/index.html).

I am sure the buyer got value for money. 😜 ;)

The world has become mad.

Imagine the faces of the heirs to the new proud owner when in say 40 years they inherit the most prized possessions. Steve Jobs is long forgotten by then and finally it is revealed their inheritance is a pair of old smelly sandals. 😜

I suspect that $200K was pocket change to him...

"In October last year, a pair of Nike Air Ships worn by basketball legend Michael Jordan sold for $1.47 million, breaking the record for the highest sale price for a pair of sneakers at auction."

Creepy eh, but it might be funny.

This thread is starting to remind me of a scene on the British Comedy TV series; The Young Ones. Neil had a ratty old speaker cabinet. But its value was apparently massive because "Jimi Hendrix once pissed on that speaker".

Once I stayed in accommodation that was really pretty dodgy, despite being very high priced.

Nothing was working properly, the AV systems were defunct and I spent some time trying to repair them, the plumbing was defective, the hot water service was barely warm and the air conditioner had failed. Nothing worked properly, window catches jamming etc, it was like the Dylan song; Everything is Broken.

When I complained about it to the management they started dropping names. They said Anthony Hopkins stayed in that room and he really liked it. And then they rattled off a list of celebrities who apparently had no problem with it. I guess when certain people touch things, they just turn to Gold.

But it got better. In this place they had a system where you could tell them what your dietary preferences were. We only had one request, no Garlic. In any case, after I complained, about an hour later I got a knock at the door. We would like to offer you this complimentary Garlic bread!

But it got even better. In this resort they had a Colonic Clinic, where you can have your colon washed out (not something I subscribe to). So I came up with the idea of buying a complimentary gift certificate for the resort manager, for a free colonic. But my wife said that was going too far.

Last edited:
Back