• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC VTxxx terminals, where did they go?

atod

Experienced Member
I sold mine during a move for $71 plus shipping and it was working perfectly. Now I miss that thing and realized what a workhorse of a terminal it was!

There used to be a great deal of these around the Northeast where DEC was located. I wonder where all the terminals have gone?

The move to Telnet and later SSH rendered serial terminals for the most part obsolete as one commodity desktop/thin client could replace multiple terminals, or just replacing the host machine with a modern server or desktop completely. Most likely ended up being palletized and recycled over the last 15 years.

Me too! I've been looking for VT100s (or even just keyboards), working or not, for a university museum exhibit for some time and have had no luck! There had to have been many thousands of them out there.

It's worthwhile mentioning that the third-party terminal vendors got in on the action too. We used C. Itoh terminals with our VAX--cheaper, and in some respects, better. Televideo and Wyse made a big inroad with their economy terminals also. When the PC came into wide use, you had something that could replace a terminal and offer a bunch of capabilities not available on a simple terminal. That business of adding some storage (e.g. floppy drive) made a big difference. Quite a few terminal vendors understood this and were able to extend their product line without extensive re-engineering.

I think they were mostly skipped or trashed. There were thousands and they were worthless. A few went to radio hams for use on Packet Radio. In the UK you used to be able to pick them up at Ham Fests but often the owner wanted a silly price....

Back