• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"DECtube" (DECtape storage)

TJ_Mossman

Experienced Member
So it turns out that the standard diameter of rain gutter here is just the right size to hold reels of DECtape...

£5 and a trip to the hardware store later and now I have this.

DECtape_Shelf_Small.jpg

I hope someone finds this useful :)

Sewer pipe :p

Really I just hang them on the inner edge of one of my racks. Probably not the best solution since the tabs will probably snap off eventually.
Reels.jpg

I doubt you will have a problem hanging tapes by the tab.
When I was still working we had a tape library with thousands of tapes hanging from the tabs.
I never ever saw one break off.

Also very nice dectape storage solution.

joe

The problem with those "tape seal" strips is that they age badly. Get on toward 40-50 years and with many of them, the PVC strip turns brittle and breaks right at the hanger--the hook itself is fine. No way to repair those. About a year ago, I went on a search on the cctalk list for anyone who had a stock of the old tape seals to replace customer seals that were broken or missing. Only one person volunteered and ultimately was unable to deliver. Tape seals haven't been manufactured for a long time. The hard plastic ones used for IBM auto-load tape drives (can't recall the name) are quite a bit better, but even harder to come by.

I gave up finally and shipped the uncased tapes or those with broken reel strips back to the customers in plastic 800' 16mm film cans, which are still made and perfectly sized.

I do believe that ultimately, very little of our technology will be around for the museums in a couple hundred years--the plastics will all have deteriorated; the erasable semiconductor media (e.g. flash drive) will have dissipated its charge.

Last edited:
The problem with those "tape seal" strips is that they age badly. Get on toward 40-50 years and with many of them, the PVC strip turns brittle and breaks right at the hanger--the hook itself is fine. No way to repair those. About a year ago, I went on a search on the cctalk list for anyone who had a stock of the old tape seals to replace customer seals that were broken or missing. Only one person volunteered and ultimately was unable to deliver. Tape seals haven't been manufactured for a long time. The hard plastic ones used for IBM auto-load tape drives (can't recall the name) are quite a bit better, but even harder to come by.

I gave up finally and shipped the uncased tapes or those with broken reel strips back to the customers in plastic 800' 16mm film cans, which are still made and perfectly sized.

I do believe that ultimately, very little of our technology will be around for the museums in a couple hundred years--the plastics will all have deteriorated; the erasable semiconductor media (e.g. flash drive) will have dissipated its charge.

All of our Central Offices were equipped with a 3 ft by 4 ft tape cabinet designed to hold tapes hung by their seal "hooks". Towards the end it was not uncommon to come in in the morning and have to pick up a now broken reel and rewind at least part of the tape by hand. I was lucky in that I had a box of unused seals to replace the broken ones but replacing a 2700 ft reel with a big chunk missing from the rim was a royal pain. All too often the damaged tape had to be bulk erased and tossed in the dumpster.

There's an article I read about a group restoring an IBM tape drive in order to be able to read data from the Apollo missions and another about using a Kryoflux to recover some of Andy Warhol's work off of Apple floppies. Our descendants will still be able to read the Rosetta Stone but we're already struggling to read stuff off of the humble floppy disk which was once regarded as the cockroach of the digital age. I'm thinking the future you predict is already here.

I occasionally have to repair a tape reel, with broken flanges or even where the reel has separated. It can be done--and even a reel missing part of the flange can be read, if done carefully.

But I've found no repair for broken tape seals. I remember when every new reel of tape came in its own plastic clamshell container. Then the "tape seal" hangers came into vogue and those clamshells were discarded by the dumpster load. Too bad--some of them had a lot of thought put into the design. Was it Wright Line who first pushed the tape seal hangers? IBM, of course, had their own system.

The canisters have problems with the rubber seal turning to goo, in particular the gold 3M ones
The two piece polycarbonate shells will eventually go brittle, but that will be the same time that the reels go as well.
I guess we can be glad none of these are oozing plasticizer.

Floppies have the same problems that tape oxide binder has, since it is essentially the same stuff.

Old tape canisters are interesting from a design standpoint. There are twist a catch, push a button, and pull a knob types. All done differently, I expect, to avoid patent issues. I've seen very few broken ones. I suspect that they accounted for a fair part of the cost of a reel of tape.

When the tape-seal thing came into vogue, the market opened up quite a bit. Instead of those expensive canisters, manufacturers could apply the very cheap seals and supply tapes by the pallet-load. with reels just wrapped in poly and stacked like poker chips.

The same thing happened with floppies as well; from a nice box holding up to 10 to a poly bag of 50-100 stuffed into a simple cardboard box. The more interesting ones are the single-3.5" plastic containers.

The same thing happened with floppies as well; from a nice box holding up to 10 to a poly bag of 50-100 stuffed into a simple cardboard box. The more interesting ones are the single-3.5" plastic containers.

The truly interesting ones were the 3" disks which were placed in a cardboard sleeve which was inserted into single disk jewel cases. Some of the bulk boxes even had every disk in a jewel box. Rather excessive, considering the 3" design was intended to go through the mail with a minimum of packaging.

I occasionally have to repair a tape reel, with broken flanges or even where the reel has separated. It can be done--and even a reel missing part of the flange can be read, if done carefully.

But I've found no repair for broken tape seals. I remember when every new reel of tape came in its own plastic clamshell container. Then the "tape seal" hangers came into vogue and those clamshells were discarded by the dumpster load. Too bad--some of them had a lot of thought put into the design. Was it Wright Line who first pushed the tape seal hangers? IBM, of course, had their own system.

Pretty sure Wright Line made the seals and furniture designed to store tapes in seals like the one I mentioned above. IIRC our computer center has an entire room set up with motorized racks that rolled back and forth on tracks to store thousands of tapes. The room had an automatic Halon fire suppression system All made by Wright Line.

I think this image comes from one of the IRS facilities, but maybe not, since IIRC, the IRS used tape-picking robots.

C0047135-Computer_Tape_Library.jpg

Note that the tape seals are the IBM type, so they probably survived pretty well.

Old tape canisters are interesting from a design standpoint. There are twist a catch, push a button, and pull a knob types. All done differently, I expect, to avoid patent issues. I've seen very few broken ones. I suspect that they accounted for a fair part of the cost of a reel of tape.

When the tape-seal thing came into vogue, the market opened up quite a bit. Instead of those expensive canisters, manufacturers could apply the very cheap seals and supply tapes by the pallet-load. with reels just wrapped in poly and stacked like poker chips.

I remember well the last box of 50 "no name" 1.44m floppies I bought from a big box office supply store. They were supposedly pre-formatted and tested error free. Now, whenever I formatted a floppy, the program would generate as random number and assign it to the disk. Funny thing, all 50 of those generic pre-formatted floppies has the same "random" number. Many of them gave errors while trying to write a file, and on a manual reformat had as much as half the disk marked as bad sectors. I think on reformat and testing about half of that box went right into the trash. The rest of them should have been trashed as well because I found they wouldn't hold data very long, sometimes becoming corrupt overnight.

Note that the tape seals are the IBM type, so they probably survived pretty well.
That is the "Easy-Load II" tape seal, designed to autoload in IBM (and compatible) drives. In retrospect, I'm surprised IBM didn't try enforcing a patent on that design. Maybe they didn't because of the anti-trust lawsuit?

To bring this back full circle to DEC, the TU77/78/79 drives also "supported" Easy-Load II seals. By "supported", I mean that the drive knew how to open the seal and blow air through the seal, not that it could actually successfully auto-load. I had a relatively big business of fixing those drives while I was at SPC - people would drop off whole refrigerator-sized tape drives and I'd apply all of the ECOs/FCOs and perform all of the adjustments. By the time a drive left my shop, it would autoload flawlessly as well as run through a whole 2400' reel at 6250 without even a single soft retry. Once DEC heard about this, there was a stealth parade of drives coming in that were referred to me by the local Field Service office.

One trick with the Easy-Load II seals was that the end of the tape needed to be specially prepared - the cut end was rounded and some creases applied to make it easier for the vacuum to "pick" the free end. The DEC part number for the crimper was 47-00038-00, although you could get them from all of the "usual places" like INMAC. The DEC TSZ series drives and their Cipher counterparts would also benefit from having the tape ends crimped that way.

DEC trivia - the TU79 door has 3 small rectangular indents. Those are used to apply IBM channel and unit number (normally starting with 280) labels.

The old Univac Uniservo drives required that a special "loop" be spliced on the end of a tape in order to load. I've got a small pile of things, as all of the splices have dried out and the "loops" fallen off.

The CDC 66x autoloaders generally required a clean end--which means that someone using tapes on the manual-loading 65x and 60x drives had to clip the ends to get them to work in the 66x. I doubt that this was unique among drive manufacturers.

That is the "Easy-Load II" tape seal, designed to autoload in IBM (and compatible) drives. In retrospect, I'm surprised IBM didn't try enforcing a patent on that design. Maybe they didn't because of the anti-trust lawsuit?

To bring this back full circle to DEC, the TU77/78/79 drives also "supported" Easy-Load II seals. By "supported", I mean that the drive knew how to open the seal and blow air through the seal, not that it could actually successfully auto-load. I had a relatively big business of fixing those drives while I was at SPC - people would drop off whole refrigerator-sized tape drives and I'd apply all of the ECOs/FCOs and perform all of the adjustments. By the time a drive left my shop, it would autoload flawlessly as well as run through a whole 2400' reel at 6250 without even a single soft retry. Once DEC heard about this, there was a stealth parade of drives coming in that were referred to me by the local Field Service office.

One trick with the Easy-Load II seals was that the end of the tape needed to be specially prepared - the cut end was rounded and some creases applied to make it easier for the vacuum to "pick" the free end. The DEC part number for the crimper was 47-00038-00, although you could get them from all of the "usual places" like INMAC. The DEC TSZ series drives and their Cipher counterparts would also benefit from having the tape ends crimped that way.

DEC trivia - the TU79 door has 3 small rectangular indents. Those are used to apply IBM channel and unit number (normally starting with 280) labels.

Terry, were there really a TU79? I've only seen/heard/touched the TA79, which talked STI. A TU79 would, I assume, be the Massbus variant. I've used TU78, but it would be cool if the TU79 actually also existed.

Our TU77 and TU78 worked pretty well in picking up tape when autoloading, but they were far from perfect. Could maybe have used some of your tlc. :)
We actually still have those drives. I should try getting a TU77 running, as we don't have any running 800 drive at the moment.

Terry, were there really a TU79? I've only seen/heard/touched the TA79, which talked STI. A TU79 would, I assume, be the Massbus variant. I've used TU78, but it would be cool if the TU79 actually also existed.
I was using "TU" as the generic, as the 77 only came in Massbus TU77, the 78 came in Massbus TU78 and STI TA78 flavors, and the 79 only came in STI TA79.

I'm not sure if you could mix and match 78/79 drives as secondaries* with the other model as a primary* - all of my drives were primaries.

I did have a "TU79" which was a TA79 drive with a TM78 formatter in it (which is the reason I think mix and match might be possible). I did that conversion because at the time I only had SDI cards in my HSC50 - subsequenly I won a pair of universal (disk or tape, depending on microcode) controller cards for my HSCs at a DECUS Symposium. Prior to the universal cards, cards were either SDI or STI (presumably just a different set of PROMs).

* primary/secondary used instead of the period-correct terminology due to #BLM

Our TU77 and TU78 worked pretty well in picking up tape when autoloading, but they were far from perfect. Could maybe have used some of your tlc. :)
We actually still have those drives. I should try getting a TU77 running, as we don't have any running 800 drive at the moment.

The main improvement was a rubber foam gasket in the well where you mounted the tape, located between the Easy-Load II seal and the air port on the drive. The drives originally shipped with no gasket. They also shipped with the wrong airflow through the air port, but that was a less important part of the fix. DEC only made 100 FCO kits for a field population of ~6000 drives and it was an "Improvement" FCO, meaning the drive had to be on a Field Service contract and the customer had to complain in order to get the FCO. The most famous mis-categorized "Improvement" FCO was the power harness in the BA23, which tended to set the whole chassis (and sometimes a whole car assembly line) on fire.

The TU77 never officially got the load fix FCO, although the same kit works fine on a TU77.

The "whopper" TU78 FCO that took 3 tries for DEC to get right was the read-after-write soft error fix at 6250 BPI on TU78s. The boards shipped with the wrong capacitors. Rev A of the FCO replaced the capacitors, but positioned improperly. Rev B of the FCO fixed the problems with Rev A. Rev C added a shield that was forgotten in Rev A and Rev B. The capacitors and shield weren't the only problem - the Write and Preamp boards needed to be replaced, along with the Write to Preamp cable. The Read board needed modification, as did the 9 M8950 boards in the formatter and their ground wires. All in all, a total cluster-flip(chip).

Back