• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Differential SCSI drives (HVD?)

kb2syd

Veteran Member
I have 3 or 4 HP SCSI drives that I think are HVD. Since the manuals don't specifically say they're high voltage, does anyone know a way to tell?

They're C2490a-012 drives.

Kelly

Those 2 GB HP drives had lots of options.

Easy way to tell HVD from LVD is to apply power to the drive and put a voltmeter between the DIFFSENSE pin and ground. If the reading is less than about 0.5V, the device is SE. If it's more than 0.5 but less than 2.0V, it's LVD; if it's more than 2.0V, it's HVD.

I think I have an old, but never really used, HVD controller card at home, bought by mistake when I wanted an LVD one, it is any use.

They went to disk drive heaven (or hell) yesterday. I just had too much stuff. Between the A/C fins, electric motors, power cords, broken or unusable hard drives, motherboards, memory, old laptops, and CPUs, I recycled more than 500 pounds. Tomorrow is a trip to the local landfill to get rid of even more stuff.

I wasn't getting offers (not even offers to come pick stuff up for free) on anything other than a couple of the bigger SCSI drives (which I will pack up this week for shipping). I kept every hard drive that I could test as good and I still have more than 30 IDE and SCSI drives laying around the basement. That's not counting the 10 ST-406/ST-512 interface drives I have.

They went to disk drive heaven (or hell) yesterday. I just had too much stuff. Between the A/C fins, electric motors, power cords, broken or unusable hard drives, motherboards, memory, old laptops, and CPUs, I recycled more than 500 pounds. Tomorrow is a trip to the local landfill to get rid of even more stuff.

I wasn't getting offers (not even offers to come pick stuff up for free) on anything other than a couple of the bigger SCSI drives (which I will pack up this week for shipping). I kept every hard drive that I could test as good and I still have more than 30 IDE and SCSI drives laying around the basement. That's not counting the 10 ST-406/ST-512 interface drives I have.

Let me know if you have any Thinkpad parts.

Back