• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Disney Sound Source $1.50 where are drivers?

rmay635703

Veteran Member
I have a chance at an old Disney Sound Source external parallel port sound card I am uncertain where to find drivers and I have a feeling it won't work on an XT, is it worth messing with?

I have the driver's disk somewhere for that. The sound quality isn't that bad, though it does tie the system up when a sound is playing.

-Jason

I have one of these somewhere.

I have one of these somewhere.

There were a few DOS games that directly supported these with no additional drivers (I seem to remember that the original "Duke Nukem 3D" game did?) Also I know there were WAV playback drivers for Win 3.1 through at least Win95 (I think the Windows drivers were hacks and not official Disney drivers). I know this device wasnt really designed with the XTs in mind these were released more towards late 286 to early 386 era, but you may be able to find some old games that would run on an XT and support this.

I may still have a floppy somewhere in my storage with the Windows driver on it, I will try to dig them out and look.

-Ryan Wallmow

I have a chance at an old Disney Sound Source external parallel port sound card I am uncertain where to find drivers and I have a feeling it won't work on an XT, is it worth messing with?

oh man, now THAT takes me back to the day! haha. i used to have one of those. no clue what happened to it. unfortunately, i don't have the driver disks afaik... i haven't seen them for a good 12 years :(

i oughta pick one up on ebay and ditch the SB Live... mp3s on a disney sound source... fun!

The only programs I ever found with SoundSource support were the (st00pit, boring, over-priced) progs from Disney themself.

--T

i used to play disney's "a day at the fair" with that... there was some other one about organizing a birthday party too.

i had fun, but then again i must have been like 6 or 7 years old.

I know I am reopening an old thread....

I know I am reopening an old thread....

I know this is an old thread, but I thought SOMEONE out there may want the drivers.

Says is works with Win3.x, 95, 98 and NT4 (since NT4 is supported, its possible it would work in 2K or XP too).

-Ryan

Attachments

• Disney-SoundSourceWin3x-98-NT4.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 4
Thanks, Ryan.

I recently grabbed one of these off of ebay for $10 shipped, but haven't had the time to mess with it yet. Bought it because I've never seen/heard a Disney Sound Source (or the Covox Speech Thing), it was cheap, and I've a boatload of software that supports it.

FWIW, it wasn't just Disney that supported the product, but Sierra as well. I want to say that several popular shareware titles also supported it (if memory serves, it was Apogee games that I'm thinking of)

Thanks, Ryan.

I recently grabbed one of these off of ebay for $10 shipped, but haven't had the time to mess with it yet. Bought it because I've never seen/heard a Disney Sound Source (or the Covox Speech Thing), it was cheap, and I've a boatload of software that supports it.

FWIW, it wasn't just Disney that supported the product, but Sierra as well. I want to say that several popular shareware titles also supported it (if memory serves, it was Apogee games that I'm thinking of)

Wolfenstein 3D supports it. I used to play it on an old 386sx machine with a Disney Sound Source.

It's a DAC device so you only hear "voices". This is not a music device (no FM or MIDI).

Also, no driver is required at the DOS level. It is directly accessed by the game/program via the Parallel port. For Windows, what a "driver" might do is allow it to be used as the Sound device (direct WAV and digital sounds to the DSS). You will not be able to play MIDI sounds through it.

I have an actual DSS and I've used it with several 486 laptops for some level of sound support, since most laptops of that era have no sound cards or slots for them. Works great for Wolf3d, as EddieDX4 pointed out.

I used them with a few older 386/486 laptops I had just for some "decent" sound support in windows, its not great, but it beats the PC Speaker WAV driver for windows 3.1/95. I believe its capable of 8bit 11khz playback with this driver, which isn't ALL that bad for just basic WAV / simple game sound playback. Its been years since I let my last one go though, I dont have any "vintage" laptops that need anything like that anymore, all my vintage desktops have SB cards in them, so not something I use anymore, it was a miracle I found the disk, lol.

Back