• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Display solutions for old computers with composite video?

AndersG

Experienced Member
Assuming you do not have the space for an old CRT. What do you use? Any suggestions for LCD/TFT-screens that work with composite or video+hstync+vsync?

Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP or 2001FP monitors both are 4:3, 1600x1200, and have composite, S-Video, VGA and DVI inputs. Very nice monitors, I have three of the 2001FP.

The 2001FP works great on my Apple //e to display 80 column text over composite video.

Like so many do, I got tired of lugging those old CRT's and retired 'em to the loft in my garage. I use a Dell 15", not the lightest around but very rugged (survived a drop to the floor from a computer table). It does 1024 x 760 and works off any video card that I have, including my 1000SX and C64. Cheap on Ebay

Just about any LCD TV should work...

That's what I use. I have a couple (don't remember the name) that support NTSC, Composite, SVGA, etc. That has me covered for everything except the older digital protocols like CGA - then I have to haul out a real monitor.

Bear in mind that some systems designed for NTSC look utterly horrid and hard to read on many LCDs due to conflicting resolution. I have yet to find an LCD monitor that can properly display Amiga ECS, even with a flicker fixer.

LCD monitors typically support nominal PC resolutions like 640x480 which is not a complete NTSC frame, yet they will display a larger than 640x480 portion of the NTSC image. Hence the conflict.

Well I did say "just about"...there are also multi-system TVs that support NTSC and PAL if you need both.

Yes, I know, but this is monochrome anyway so all that matters is the ablity to sync to 15625hz.

Back