• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do Cyrix 5x86 CPUs work the same as a 486 in turbo button functionality?

computerdude92

Veteran Member
I just picked up my first tower with this CPU. I haven't tested the PC yet, but it does have a turbo button and the required pin headers on the mobo.

CPU is a Cyrix 5x86-100GP, with a pretty green heatsink.

Thanks.

The logic for the turbo button is part of the mainboard, not of the CPU. So yes, if it has pins for a turbo button, that will work with any supported CPU. The speed in "slow" mode can be different between CPUs, however.

This 100MHz chip is rated to be a little faster than a Pentium 75... What slowdown speed range can I expect, and what do you guys think of the Cyrix 5x86 CPUs?

Impossible to say, because it depends on what the mainboard does. You need to test yourself.

The Cyrix 5x86 is a great CPU and makes a very fast 486. It has a few compatibility issues, however. Also, even though it has a Pentium-like core derived from the Cyrix 6x86 (unlike the AMD 5x86, which is a pure 486) and the speed, it will be detected by software as a 486 only. Some games needing a Pentium will refuse to run, even if the CPU could handle them. If that ever becomes a problem depends on the games you want to run.

Important to note about these Cyrix 5x86 CPUs is that they are really, really configurable. I'd take a look around at some guides out there regarding CPU register settings. It may seem a little intimidating at first, but with utilities like IBMM9.exe, it's not too bad. There's lots of flexibility in the 5x86 (depending on the motherboard you're using, as well), and it can range from fast, to really, really fast.

As Timo W. mentioned, the turbo button is 100% mainboard related, but there are not only cache control apps for Cyrix 5x86s but also things like SETMUL and CTCHIP allow you to change the CPU multiplier in software and slow the system down a good bit.

Back