• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep our deepfreezer at -2 degrees Fahrenheit. There are a bunch of solid frozen things and Turkeys etc in there. If the power goes out it can last a long white before thawing... At which point the generator kicked on for a couple hours will do the trick.. The fridge.. well thats much harder to maintain.
Same here. Usually a few bags of ice in there too. And I have around 75 gals of diesel. I could easily last a few weeks. I was raised poor, so I was taught you get stuff when its on sale to stretch your budget. Turkeys on sale for 19 cents a lb? Grab 3!

haha! Im the same way.. Grew up poor and hate shopping.. i can stretch out groceries like you wouldnt believe.

I mean ill be fine. i have like 6 quarts of frozen borscht... shame my wife doesnt like it.

Which way do you make borscht? I love it when its cabbage based, wife hates when I cook it, or cabbage in general...

well because of cholesterol i make it vegetarian only now. i use kidney beans. fresh beats and the accompanying beat greens. typically i use green cabbage but sometimes i use apple pickled sweet red cabbage with fresh red cabbage. carrots. lots of onions (red or yellow depending on the cabbage) garlic, sauteed carraway seeds. i like mushrooms in it as well. a couple potatoes cubed. fresh Dill is nice if its available. i use a plant based sour cream and a good red wine vinegar.

that sounds good Chuck. its peasant food so the stems and greens are a must.

Twolazy how can she hate cabbage its a miracle food?. Going to be making corned beed and cabbage for the family in a week with accompanying reuben sandwiches.

Last edited:
I love cabbage, her being Italian, she isnt much a cabbage person. She wont even eat egg rolls. o_O . Only cabbage I can get down her is cole slaw LOL.

Me on the other hand, cabbage and onions are my favorite veggies!

The US admitted to taking out a Russian power station a couple of years ago.Thousands of citizens were left without power during winter for quite some time

No its just Calusers' hate for America rants.. He does that alot.

I am happy to keep talking about Borscht. I dont have my grandmothers recipes so I have to go on old scents and tastes from memory. She used to boil her Borscht with beef bones from the butcher.. When bones with meat on them could be had for practically nothing (anyone else able to buy this now a days? I know I cant.. Buying beef shoulder or knee bones cost more than a Sirloin steak! Anyway My grandmother would never eat the meat, she would either give us the bone with meat in a soup bowl or cube off the pieces to serve to someone else. She never bought actual meat to put in there... But it tasted Phenomenal.

Do what I do and when you eat a nice tbone, shove that bone in the freezer! I do same with rotisserie / baked whole chickens for when I want to make chicken soup.

I do that as well. I have various bags of pork, and chicken bones in the freezer (I dont eat much red meat at all anymore). I use ham bones and pork ribs to make Pork stock which makes the best Split pea soup. And the Chicken and turkey bones make great Chicken soups. Again, I am glad I grew up poor. My kids think eating chicken off the bone is gross.. They would prefer anyting manufactured instead... I dont get it. So absurd..

By the way my Wife bought me a new Electric Smoker cabinet with an Additional Cold smoke attachment. I have an entire king salmon in the freezer (bought from Asian grocery store; only fish affordable in my state) I want to try making smoked Lox. I have made hot smoked salmon before (and we recently had the best hot smoked salmon in seattle last summer) but I have never tried making cold smoked Lox.

Growing up Smoked Makarel was a favorite (served cold, usually eaten with a nice cold beer although when I was young it was Kvass I drank with it). Its definitely a Ukrainian/Russian thing for sure from people I know. There is a place that has some Polish Delis' that sell it but its an hour and a half each way. I need to see if I can find some makarel and make that myself. https://kcmeesha.com/2010/07/21/found-in-the-russian-storesmoked-mackerel/

Last edited:
I think this thread has run it's course. So I am going to close it before it goes any further off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back