• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone else have this C4004 Board?

T1000

Here is something I found over the weekend.
Does anyone else have a board similar to this? I have other chips and Engineering samples you might like. Let me know so I can take pics and post them.
c4004board0011wy.jpg

It looks like a 4004 microprocessor board. There is a 4002 (M0) with a manufacturing date of 7502 or 7532, which is 1975 week 2 or week 32. But the second digit is hard to see. Over in the right hand corner is another chip of similar manufacture which looks like a 4004.

The 4004 needed support chips to function as not everything was contained in the processor in those days.

'M' numbered chips are processor support chips.

Below the 4002 (M0) is what appears to be a 4001 (M4). To the right of the M4 is M1 and this looks like a 4001. Also near the 4004 (below) is what looks to be another 4001 (M2). Also in the bottom right corner of the image is another M chip, number unknown.

The 4001 is a ROM and 4 bit I/O.
The 4002 is a 320 bit RAM and output port.

Both the 4002 and 4004 chips are ceramic with gold plated pins.

The 4004 is a collectibile. I have no idea of the value. It was the first microprocessor and was made by Intel. It has a 4 bit wide data path. Hey! It's a real mean processor. Lots of grunt from that one, hehehehe.

There's a bunch of semiconductor collectors out there and I know the 4004 is sought after.

The manufacturer symbol 'i' is clearly visible on the 'M' chips.

Most of the manufacturing dates appear to be 1975, but in those days it was not uncommon for a board to contain a wide divergence in manufacturing dates.

Quite typically a microprocessor will be in the center or near the center of a board. But in this case the 4004 is at the edge of the board.

On the right side of the image in solder is the word "processor", which might be part of the word microprocessor.

It'd be unwise to remove the 4004 processor from the board. Collectors might suspect it has been handled badly and believe it no longer works, and testing such a processor would take some effort.

A quick test might be to supply a reset input and watch what the address lines do with a probe. If the address lines go to an all low state or an all high state after a reset then this indicates that basic internal functions are ok.

The board is obviously 2 sided and could even be a multi-layer board. You can hold the board up to a strong light and count the layers by observing the tracks.

It's shape tells me it is made to fit to a bus where there are many boards connected. The TTL chips on the board will most probably all be in support of the 4004. I would guess it is made for a calculator. It could even have come from an instrument.

See the gold plated connector. When the price of gold rose dramatically gold was mostly eliminated from connectors.

The remaining black chips appear to be all TTL 74 series devices from a variety of manufacturers.

Notice the positioning of the xtal oscillator near what appears to be a 4004. See also the nylon locking lever in the extreme right of the pic near the xtal which is another indicator the board was mounted in a card frame.

I don't see a country of manufacture anywhere but the use of 'Z' to indicate IC's is odd. I thought most American companies used 'U' to show locations of chips. Also the PCB track layout was hand laid.

The simple fact that words (in solder, extreme right) are in English tells us it is US, UK etc manufacture. I would guess US.

Also, I am told that old anti-static bags are only anti-static on the inside. Laying the board on the outside of the bag is not good.

How about some more pics of what you have found...

Back