• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does the dimple go at the tick?

the corner of the chip with the bevel/chamfer corresponds to the corner of the socket with a bevel. Your picture looks right to me. At least, it doesn't look obviously wrong.

If you don't have a PLCC puller, two small jeweler's screwdrivers might do the trick. But a PLCC puller is what you really need, here's an example of what they look like (random amazon link, no relationship or experience with this product or seller):
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Profe...=1507388568&sr=8-4&keywords=ic+chip+extractor

You don't need the tool, but you stand a 50% chance of breaking the socket without one, in my experience.

You can see the slots on 2 of the corners, on opposite sides of the socket. This is where you insert your screwdrivers or PLCC puller. If you use screwdrivers, try to bring the package out keeping things level.

I never understood why PLCCs were strictly square. It always seemed to me that a rectangular shape would make orientation simpler. After all, most of the package is "dead space" for the leadframe.

Last edited:
I never understood why PLCCs were strictly square. It always seemed to me that a rectangular shape would make orientation simpler. After all, most of the package is "dead space" for the leadframe.

A 32-pin PLCC is rectangular. 7 and 9 pin sides, not 8.

Most of the time I would rather use one of these 822154-1 AMP / TE connectivity pry tools than the tweezer tools. Available at Mouser / Digi-Key.

822154-1.jpg

Don't do it without the tool. It needs to come out straight up or you bend pins and/or crack the socket.

If you crack the socket, it will be unreliable and they are a huge pain to replace unless you like and are very good at soldering (clean removal is the hard part).

Back