• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Doesn't IE7 look an aweful lot alike Opera?

It does look rather similar...I tried the Beta of IE7, firefox was better so I went back. Looks like MS has finally caught on to tabbed browsing

I think that the buttons are horribly placed in IE7, and that it does take a lot of it's looks from Firefox and Opera. If those two browsers hadn't gained any foothold yet, IE7 would look almost the same as IE6.

I must disagree. I find very little resemblance between the two pictures, other than the web site is the same.

The Opera browser has traditional menus, tabs above the address field, an obvious button to open a new tab and all the other navigation in one area. The pictures don't show how the two browsers look at the bottom.

The IE7 browser has drop-down button menus inside the browser, tabs below the address fields, a + which I suppose is to open a new tab, a button for favorites (I didn't see one in Opera) and the other buttons a little everywhere.

If Apple failed the look'n'feel lawsuit vs Microsoft, I doubt Opera would be more lucky neither. Indeed, IE7 looks completely different compared to IE6. Personally I don't think it is an improvement.

Man, I don't like IE7 Much at all.

1. The text...smoothing thing...Looks HORRIBLE on LCD's
2. Takes too long to load into memory
3. Takes too freaking long to load into memory!!!

carlsson said:
I must disagree. I find very little resemblance between the two pictures, other than the web site is the same.

The Opera browser has traditional menus, tabs above the address field, an obvious button to open a new tab and all the other navigation in one area. The pictures don't show how the two browsers look at the bottom.

The IE7 browser has drop-down button menus inside the browser, tabs below the address fields, a + which I suppose is to open a new tab, a button for favorites (I didn't see one in Opera) and the other buttons a little everywhere.
The point was that was the only difference, otherwise, they look an aweful lot alike, not the same(I never used the word "same").
And yes the images do show what they look like at the bottom.

Atari, IE7 takes only 1/10th of a second to init on my PC, maybe you dont have enough resources free?
Firefox take 1 second and opera takes 1/2 second.

atari2600a said:
Seriously? FF takes less than 1 second to finish loading both the browser & the web page on my PC, but it takes IE7 at least 10!
There is no way FF loads in 1 second an a P3!
It takes 3 seconds on my P4 1.5GHz!
No matter what kind of registry mods I do.
I am referring to the browser only, the page is instantanious on my 5Mb cable.
You must be referring to when you already have one window open and minimized, then in that case, they take 1/16th of a second to load

Well it would really matter on a number of things.

Have you defragmented your drive/partition recently? FF reads numerous files when starting up, &, as mbruttman stated a while before, the CPU spends most of it's time waiting for data from the HD.

Also, extra toolbars, extentions, & themes could slow things down, plus, what else you have running in the background. (I ALWAYS turn off any apps I'm not using, but even at Intel (My step father works there), they leave on apps like MSN Messenger & Real Player, & it really slows things down on their computers...)

(I don't know much about IE6/7 to back it up...)

So, really, the speed in which the browser loads depends on a number of factors...

(By the way, I'm not using my P3, I'm using that Celeron you gave me!:p)

Last edited:
I am quite aware of that, considering I do it for a living(I believe you were aware of this?).^_^
I run a computer support forum as well, so, yeah, those are always a factor. You can find me at www.ubertechworld.com
Also, I mentioned IE7 loads lightning fast on my P4 1.5 too(not to mention my 3.45GHz P4), so you can conclude I keep my systems very squeaky clean.
Did you really think I did not know about background apps, processes and defrag? lol, that is basic knowledge.
OMFG! Spyware, malware and viruses can slow your PC! LOL, bet nobody knew that.

Glad to see you're using the celeron.
Lot faster than the P3?

Last edited:
IDK, The PCB just went out & I can't find a replacement, plus Seagate said that it would be dangerous to replace it; something about parameters (beyond my knowledge of HD's)

atari2600a said:
IDK, The PCB just went out & I can't find a replacement, plus Seagate said that it would be dangerous to replace it; something about parameters (beyond my knowledge of HD's)
They pretty much mean they don't care.
Parameters are like the cylinders and heads.

Back