• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Don Maslin

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
DONALD A. MASLIN
Nov. 2, 1927-Aug. 28, 2004

Donald A. Maslin, 76, of La Jolla died Aug. 28. He was born in New Haven, Conn., and was a combat systems department head for the Navy. He served in the Coast Guard and was a member of the San Diego Computer Society.

Survivors include his wife, Bristol; and sister, Margaret Stadtler of Versailles, Ky.

No services were planned.

A scattering of ashes was planned.

Arrangements: Telophase Cremation Society.

Don was an active and extremely knowledgeable collector. I don't think it was possible for him to turn down a request for help and, because of this, he touched many of us in the community.

He will be missed.

Erik

Yes, I'm sorry to see Don go. I learned a lot from him over the years.
I don't mean to sound ghoulish, but I wonder what's to become of his bootdisk archive now that he's gone? I sure hope he made provision for someone else to take up the mantle.

--T

Sellam is trying to arrange for the archive to be continued, as well as making first offer on Don's hardware...

per comp.os.cpm report from the classicmp newslist.

Tachyon

tachyon said:
Sellam is trying to arrange for the archive to be continued, as well as making first offer on Don's hardware...

There is also a member of the San Diego Computer Society who is handling things locally with Don's wife.

We can rest assured that Don's legacy and generosity will live on through the efforts of people like Sellam, Vern and others.

This won't be a trivial task, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Don had a lot and helped a lot.

Erik

Erik said:
tachyon said:

There is also a member of the San Diego Computer Society who is handling things locally with Don's wife.

We can rest assured that Don's legacy and generosity will live on through the efforts of people like Sellam, Vern and others.

This won't be a trivial task, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Don had a lot and helped a lot.

Erik

Wow. I haven't been browsing the retro computer sources lately so I just learned of Don's passing. This is indeed a great loss. First Tim O. and now
Don. These 2 defined CP/M to me the last ten years. I hope Sellam passes
on the task to a dedicated individual like Gaby, since his plate is so full with the VCFs and other ventures. Don gave me so much help first with DEC Rainbows and then with Kaypros, knowing that for different KP processors you needed different boot-up disks, which he supplied, charging only the cost of the disks and shipping. and so much else in the way of knowledge. I exchanged e-mails with him just in June or July.
Don was notorious for posting long message quotes and then short one-line, cryptic, replies, which always gave me a chuckle. I personally will
miss his presence as will, I'm sure, a multitude of others.

Lawrence

ahm said:
Has there been any progress on someone acquiring Don's archive?

No one has been able to get his widow to cooperate. She seems to be vacillating from dumpstering the whole lot to worring that some one might make a lot of money for it.

I think she's still in the anger portion of the grieving process.

It's been a topic on the classiccomp mailing list.

James

not that I'm a CP/M expert, but I tried going through Gaby.de, what with a detailed plan on calling things 'Don Maslin...', limits on charging for boot disks, making it accessible via FTP, limiting advertising on the website, and...
whatever, just so it doesn't vanish in the mist And offered to put it all down in a binding contract of some sort.
Appearantly the widow is quite distraught. No luck so far, but neither has anyone else.
It would be awfull if the lot got chucked.

patscc

Back