• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Don't you love how the Web keeps breaking for any browser that isn't Gurgle Crumb?

TH2002

Experienced Member
I would have posted this in the Rants section if that was still up, however in a way this also makes me laugh.

First of all I can't take credit for the phrase "Gurgle Crumb" as I believe that credit goes to SomeGuy, much appreciated and accurate!

Anyways,

I've been noticing lately more and more websites have either become sluggish, certain features break or the website breaks entirely for any browser other than Gurgle Crumb. Even the atrocious recent versions of Firefuchs are having issues now from what I hear. Everything from YouTube videos refusing to play to randomly skipping, to improperly formatted text, to broken buttons and dropdown menus, and of course the inevitable "Switch to a different browser" popups. The list goes on. I find it hilarious that even websites that seem to be primarly text and image-based are STILL breaking for any non-Gurgle browsers, indicating that the websites are probably bogged down with unnecessary JavaScript and other garbage. Because bogging down a website with tons of JavaScript is innovation, right? :D

Agreed. I refuse to use that Shite browser. Just the other day Navy Federal Credit Union stopped working for my browsers. The internet is so awful and constrictive at this point. Christ I miss the freedom of the 90's when it all just WORKED!

Agreed. I refuse to use that Shite browser. Just the other day Navy Federal Credit Union stopped working for my browsers. The internet is so awful and constrictive at this point. Christ I miss the freedom of the 90's when it all just WORKED!

Gurgle Crumb really is a garbage browser and I'm shocked that anyone could recommend other people use that. Out of curiosity which browsers do you use? K-Meleon 76.3.1 is my main browser on most of my computers though sometimes I have to use Micro$oft Ledge for websites that refuse to work with K-Meleon. Most websites have sadly ditched the 90's simplicity of text and images for "modern" looks bogged down with a bunch of broken JavaScript.

I mostly use PaleMoon, ver 29 was just released. I have used firefox for years but the new/current version of Firefox is horrible. Opera is horrible as well. There really needs to be a web browser without all the fluff that just works.. It would be nice if it had a builtin option to set the id of whichever browser you wanted as well... But I guess most people are just happy "putting up with crap".

On the bright side, it's becoming easier and easier to identify sites that just aren't worth my time - if they don't function with Pale Moon, Adblock Edge, and maybe a judicious bit of whitelisting in NoScript, odds are good that they don't contain anything I need in my life that desperately.

I don't understand FF ESR works fine on my system, but maybe the world is different for us Linux users.

I've also got Chromium and Brave, but they're really two sides of the same coin.

I feel like an orphan when on these threads where everyone is slamming Chrome. I have neither good nor bad to say about Chrome as I don't share in all of these problems that seem to be plaguing others. For me I just click away and it seem to get me where I want to go and very quickly at that. I not trying to play the devil's advocate here but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I do use the Mozilla-Edge combo thing on my XP machine and it seems to work ok but is usually limited to searches for game patches.

The main objection I have to it is that a bunch of modern browser behaviors that I find irritating but can disable in Firefox/Pale Moon are baked-in and can't be turned off in Chrome. Stuff like trying to open "related" tabs next to their parent, or even more irritatingly, cycling tabs sometimes in the obvious "order that they're actually displayed on the bar" and sometimes in a Byzantine "order that we sort of tracked your history through, maybe, kind of." Maybe if you're used to that it's not a problem, but for me it's a fairly significant usability issue. The hamburger menu doesn't help either; all hamburger menus need to die, be cremated, and then have their ashes fired into the Sun. Not to mention that there are times where it's weirdly unresponsive - not in the typical FF "oh God, give me a minute while I wait for all the memory I'm chewing up to finish swapping into/out of RAM" way where it's immediately obvious what's happening, but just in the "huh? Wha...? Did you press a button or something? Sorry, I missed it?" sense that sometimes events don't register for no obvious reason, which I find even more annoying.

I mean, there's also the privacy concerns, but at least with Chromium that can be purged.

Last edited:

Where you there? Do you remember Internet Explorer vs. everything else?

Hell no, it just didn't "work" ...

I would have posted this in the Rants section if that was still up, however in a way this also makes me laugh.

The rants section was eliminated because it was abused. Please don't have that happen here ... a thinly disguised rant is still a rant.

If you want to have an honest conversation, complain about the excessive use of Javascript in the General area. Blaming any browser for what people are providing as content doesn't make a lot of sense.

Where you there? Do you remember Internet Explorer vs. everything else?

Hell no, it just didn't "work" ...

Got any specifics on why you say that? I have no qualms with IE back before Ver. 4.0 (maybe 3.0) Netscape was preferable but IE wasnt terrible. In those days I was using IRC, FTP, AIM, and other services far more than HTML browsing.
I know the monopoly issue with Microsoft was that it DIDNT allow competition. That doesnt mean thier product was flawed. And from what I remember in the mid 90's IE didnt bother me.

I mostly use PaleMoon, ver 29 was just released. I have used firefox for years but the new/current version of Firefox is horrible. Opera is horrible as well. There really needs to be a web browser without all the fluff that just works.. It would be nice if it had a builtin option to set the id of whichever browser you wanted as well... But I guess most people are just happy "putting up with crap".

Same boat, I used Firefox for years, ditched it last year for K-Meleon which is the closest thing to a browser that just works. Can't figure out how to install uBlock Origin or NoScript though which is a downside, though at least an ad-blocker is built in.

The rants section was eliminated because it was abused. Please don't have that happen here ... a thinly disguised rant is still a rant.

If you want to have an honest conversation, complain about the excessive use of Javascript in the General area. Blaming any browser for what people are providing as content doesn't make a lot of sense.

Because JavaScript isn't the only problem. My point is that so many websites are breaking due to whatever Web "standards" were set up by Google.

I absolutely was not trying to make an abusive post. Apologies if the post came off that way, though in a way I find all of this hilarious because even some websites that seem simple (websites that are primarly text and image-based that one would expect to just work) are breaking.

Just to clarify some confusion here, the issue is not Chrome or IE not working. (Problematic user-interface-of-the-week usability issues aside) You start Chrome and everything looks and works fine. Back in 1999 you started up IE and everything would look fine. The problem is/was you try and use anything other than those and you get garbage.

We are moving back to a "Best Viewed In" monoculture.

Back