• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS 3.2

Mochatea396

Experienced Member
I’ve completed my Rev0 replica and believe I’ve worked out all the bugs. I’ve been running DOS 3.3 but I’d like to get a copy of the DOS 3.2 system master. All the images I see are in a .d13 format which I gather is 13 sector. Does anyone know where Or if I even can find a copy of DOS 3.2 on a dsk image that I can write with adtpro on a 16 sector disk. I haven’t tried but I don’t believe adtpro supports .d13 extensions.
Thanks

AFAIK, you can't have a 16 sector DOS 3.2 disk.
If you have been using DOS 3.3, that also means that your Disk II controller has the 16 sector ( P5A/P6A Proms ). To really use DOS 3.2 you will have revert using the original 13 sectors proms. DOS 3.3 is the minimum you can run with a 16 sector controller. DOS 3.3 came with a utility to read 13 sector disks ( i think it was called MUFFIN ), and you could boot DOS 3.3 and then run a program called "BOOT13" to boot a 13 sector DOS disk.

Last edited:
If you google around there's a hacked version of ADTpro floating around out there there that supports writing 13 sector disks. It came out before 2010, so maybe the mainstream version has integrated support for it by now but if not it should still be findable. But yes, as noted, you can't use an unaltered 13 sector disk once you've written it unless you downgrade the PROMs on your disk controller.

As I'm sure you're aware, 13 sector disks are about as rare as hen's teeth. There's not a lot of software out there that needs you to have DOS 3.2; I get the urge to have it to go as oldskool as possible, but... eh.

d13 can be written to floppy with adt13. It can be written with a 16 sector controller.
adt 1.22 13 sector zip and txt in here ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/utility/adt/
It creates a 13 sector adt boot disk so needs boot13 to run if you only have 16 sector

Larry G

Ok Those versions I linked to (the NIB files wont work on 16 sector disks) NIB files do work in ADTPRO, just not those. I had a version of DOS 3.2 (or 3.2.1) That worked on 16 sector drives/controller. I am not remembering that wrong. I sold with wtih a II plus I sold a couple years back.

Last edited:
Ok Those versions I lined to (NIB files dont work) NIB files do work in ADTPRO, just not those. I had a version of DOS 3.2 (or 3.2.1) That worked on 16 sector drives/controller. I am not remembering that wrong. I sold with wtih a II plus I sold a couple years back.

Apparently it was possible to create "dual boot" disks that could boot on either kind of controller, IE, you could have a disk that was mostly formatted 13 sector but has a single anomalous sector (which is ignored on 13 sector controllers) that replaces the PROM code with an in-RAM version, just like the separate BOOT13 but without the pre-boot. Here's a video of a guy demonstrating a "WOZBOOT" converter program.

>Apparently it was possible to create "dual boot" disks that could boot on either kind of controller, IE, you could have a disk that was mostly formatted 13 sector but has a single anomalous sector (which is ignored on 13 sector controllers) >that replaces the PROM code with an in-RAM version, just like the separate BOOT13 but without the pre-boot. Here's a video of a guy demonstrating a "WOZBOOT" converter program.

That's me in the video. I'm talking slow and deep so might have had a little too much ...
Seriously, that was fun getting Woz's utility to function correctly.

Larry G

Back