• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS 6.2.2 xcopy locks up when copying subdirectories to CF Card

geekdad

I'm stuck. I added a CF card adapter to a 486 I use for moving files between different media. It's a straight IDE to CF and it sits as a slave to the boot drive (500M Seagate).

The 486 BIOS autdetects the CF (512MB Transcend Industrial). I can create a 400MB partition with FDISK and format it. I can copy files to the CF and see them there.

The issue is using xcopy to move subdirectories over. It hangs the computer. Every time. I used XCOPY to get subdirectories over to the Seagate from another hard drive with no issues. But getting them copied to CF is got me scratching my head...

xcopy c:\quantum\files d:\files /e

Does XCOPY 'hang' as soon as it loads, or part way through the files ?

Does XCOPY 'hang' if copying files to the CF from a floppy/diskette ?

Is the CF-to-IDE adapter properly powered ?

Do you have another CF-to-IDE adapter (i.e. as a way of quickly ruling out the adapter) ?

Copy a (very) large file over to the CF. I suspect you'll get the same lockup

Does XCOPY 'hang' as soon as it loads, or part way through the files ?

Does XCOPY 'hang' if copying files to the CF from a floppy/diskette ?

Is the CF-to-IDE adapter properly powered ?

Do you have another CF-to-IDE adapter (i.e. as a way of quickly ruling out the adapter) ?
XCOPY locks up the second I hit enter. I have to reboot the PC to recover.

The CF adapter seems to be working just fine up to that point and it has proper power. It has it's own mini power connector.

I haven't tried copying from a floppy though.

I do have an extra, I bought two so I can try the second one.

I noticed the CF FAT table is getting corrupted and figured it was from hitting reset when XCOPY locked up.

Copy a (very) large file over to the CF. I suspect you'll get the same lockup
Interesting theory. Buffer size issue somewhere? I can give that a try. I'll see if there are some large files on this system. It's mostly utilities.

I tried the other adapter and the same issue. XCOPY corrupts the FAT table every time I use it. on that machine. I'm going to tray another test. I'll take out the Seagate and put the Quantum in as the master and the CF adapter as slave. This is how I got the files off the Quantum and onto the Seagate.

Well, got it solved. When I used the quantum as the boot drive, XCOPY worked just fine. I was able to copy all the subdirectories over to the CF. What I realized is it may be an issue with the Seagate in the 486. I've had issue running Edit on that machine and I think I have some corrupted files, XCOPY probably being one of them. I'll probably end up reformatting it and getting a fresh DOS 6.22 install.

Now to see if my freshly created CF will bot in the Portable II with the XT-CF..

Back