• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dr. Dobbs magazine archives

lotonah

Experienced Member
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find early Dr. Dobbs magazine scans... preferably from the 70's and early 80's. I figure that there'd be a decent amount of Apple ][ articles in the first couple of years and I'd love to see 'em!

Thanks

There aren't a lot of Apple II specific articles early on, the articles tend to be more general (e.g. 6502 or 6800 or 8080.) I'll take a look and post a list of what I find from the first couple of years. There were more AII articles later, around fifth and sixth year as I recall.

The first few years should be online, they were originally published as pubic domain works. It infuriates me that the reprint collections had copyright notices slapped on them. This was contrary to the purposes and desires of the original editorrs and authors for the publication. The whole point of DDJ was to get PD code (originally Tiny BASIC) out into the world.

The later editorial staff understood none of this.

Re: Dr. Dobbs magazine archives

I was wondering if anyone knows where the archives might be being kept. I am also interested in them, and have not been able to find them.

My interest is mostly in Tiny BASIC and implementing it on new processors.

Thanks,

Copyright status of early DDJ

Copyright status of early DDJ

The first few years should be online, they were originally published as pubic domain works. It infuriates me that the reprint collections had copyright notices slapped on them.

I don't think this is true, given what was written in issue #2 page 2
There is no indication that the publication was put into the public domain.
They specifically say articles not copyrighted by someone else
may be reprinted for any NON-COMMERCIAL purpose.

"Reprint privileges
Articles herein that are copyrighted by individual authors or
otherwise explicitly marked as having restricted reproduction rights
may not be reprinted or copied without permission from People's
Computer Company. All other articles may be reprinted for any
non-commercial purpose, provided a credit-line is included. The
credit-line should indicate that it was reprinted from DR DOBB'S
JOURNAL OF COMPUTER CALISTHENICS &
ORTHODONTIA, and include our address."

If you're interested in Tiny BASIC specifically, start with the Wikipedia article and the resources given at the end of the entry. There's not a whole bunch more in DDJ than is given in WP. And it also shows some modern implementations, particularly on microcontrollers.

If you're just interested in code, I may have the first DDJ code CD somewhere.

Back