• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

dump / dumped finds

nige the hippy

Veteran Member
I've finally started a fresh thread for dump finds - free to all who find anything (relevant) at the dump / dumped.

to date I've found :-
a Victor 9000/sirius 1 at the side of the road (this started me off!)
an Amstrad pc 1512 (rubbish but it had a hard card)
a Compaq SLT 386 at the side of the road
a BBC micro model b
an Amiga 500 with twin external disks
an Amstrad PC5286HD
a Victor 286
a pioneer PX-7 (need a keyboard)
an Amiga 1500 with HDD & genlock
a commodore monitor (and two nice Phillips ones)
an Apple mac SE30
a Dolch lunchbox 386 with heaps of video kit but minus a keyboard
an apple powerbook 100
a tiny little Compaq 486 notebook (which I can't reach at the mo)
and today a Compaq SLT286 with power supply

and o/t
a lawnmower (in weekly use)
a 250mhz oscilloscope (now working)
a 1960s communications receiver
two 1940s TVs
a 250 Ms/s digital storage scope (working)
and a 1930's telephone exchange

And that's all I can remember.

Who needs ebay when you have a dump like yours!

The only thing I've seen at the side of the road is a pair of couches with a sign "please take me" on them (just yesterday opposite my drive actually). Never any computers.

Hey Nige, are you TRYING to make everyone hate your little English guts? :)

My wife does that!

The rotten thing is, that I just know there's stuff going in the crusher when I'm not there, I end up looking for anything I can possibly take, just as an excuse!

That is absolutely unreal. I'd be overjoyed just to find one of those composite monitors, let alone three of them on top of all the rest of those goodies. My vintage findings are few and far between. And those are always at the thrift shops, never along the curb.

Nige,
Are you sure you live near a dump? I have never heard of such a never ending treasure trove.

Maybe you are just messing with our heads... :)

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

That is absolutely unreal. I'd be overjoyed just to find one of those composite monitors, let alone three of them on top of all the rest of those goodies. My vintage findings are few and far between. And those are always at the thrift shops, never along the curb.

I have a couple 1702's in the garage if you're in need. Make a reasonable offer+shipping costs, and one's yours. I'd like enough heads-up to test one for ya, though, but I haven't really had any issues with anything from this haul I bought last year.

I'm in S. Fl, by the way.

T

A few years ago I used to use a 1702 monitor instead of a TV (small room, it was fine) The picture quality was superb, in the end it went next door to a couple of film students.

It's amazing what you can find sometimes that people just throw out to the garbage. I found a PlayStation2 console w/all the hookups except for the controllers, literally sitting on top of a whole lot of other things in front of one person's house for garbage pickup. I just happened to be out driving and noticed it so I snagged it right away. Basically it just needed a decent cleaning, I had a bunch of extra controllers on hand anyway so that worked out really well. The system works great, haven't had any problems since I cleaned it.

On one other occassion last summer, I found a Commodore 64 (just the keyboard unit), sitting out on the curb with some other items which were from a prior yard sale that weekend apparently. Had to snag that as well -- and yes, that one works also.

Nothing like the stuff Nige has acquired though - wow!!!!!

I used a 1702 monitor with a VCR as a tuner for many years. It produced a better picture than most of my friends TVs. Altho TVs have grown larger and the picture better, I still consider my Commodore as the TV or VCR movie tape an excellent source of last resort. I think I have about 6 or 7 of them from the 1702 to the 2002. Great monitors and also worked well with most 8-bit computers of the time including the Atari-8bitters. I can't imagine using these machines without a Commodore monitor even tho they did work with tvs.

The Commodore monitors and the NEC multisynchs defined my early years of collecting.

Lawrence

Today's dump acquisitions.... A Macintosh Colour Classic, a seagate ST225 winchester (I'll be surprised if that works though), and an unopened boxed 387 co-processor!

sorry Tezza, no beebs today though

Back