• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Early Computers and Electronic Music?

ignis-fatuus

I've been listing to a lot of early electronic/ambient music over the past couple of years out of a growing interest in the history of how emergent technologies challenged musicians and their listeners alike. One of the projects I've found myself enjoying is Larry Fast's, Synergy. I was reading the liner notes of one of his albums the other day and saw that he listed an Apple II as as part of his musical equipment pieces. It got me thinking, I've been researching big names in synthesizer design like Robert Moog, etc., but I don't really have a bead on how early consumer microcomputers changed the musical landscape--especially for electronic music. If anyone has anything they'ed like to share I'd be interested to learn more. accompanying musical suggestions is also super welcome.

There were a lot of articles in Byte in the 70s and they were actually compiled into a book titled "The Byte book of Computer Music".
There are also earlier examples but I cannot name any offhand.

This was quite early - Peter Zinovieff used a couple of PDP 8's in his garden shed back in the mid to late 60s. Also famous for setting up EMS aka the VCS-3 as used by Pink Floyd etc. He sadly passed away a few years ago, but was active until 2017 with a number of compositions and performances. He had some involvement with the Sinclair QL as well IIRC.

Last edited:
I've been listing to a lot of early electronic/ambient music over the past couple of years out of a growing interest in the history of how emergent technologies challenged musicians and their listeners alike. One of the projects I've found myself enjoying is Larry Fast's, Synergy. I was reading the liner notes of one of his albums the other day and saw that he listed an Apple II as as part of his musical equipment pieces. It got me thinking, I've been researching big names in synthesizer design like Robert Moog, etc., but I don't really have a bead on how early consumer microcomputers changed the musical landscape--especially for electronic music. If anyone has anything they'ed like to share I'd be interested to learn more. accompanying musical suggestions is also super welcome.
You may find this book interesting from a technical standpoint, I had my own copy scanned to preserve it

Also, this article may be neat reading for you, especially with Atari and Amiga which had a heavy influence on the electronic scene.

I'm a seasoned DJ who uses MIDI gear all the way back to Apple II; these are the first texts that come to mind.

Oh wow, thank you guys! I essentially cross-posted this in another forum dedicated to ambient/electronic music and so far, crickets. I will definitively be giving the source material you've helped provide a read.

Slightly less vintage, but it's also worth looking into the Demoscene. There was (and still is) a group of people who try to make audio/visual demonstrations using computers. Back in the 90's, the art they made was better than commercial video games. They still create new productions on old systems to this day (zx spectrum, amiga, etc) and have strange competitions, like size coding. Here's an entire generative landscape & audio synthesizer in a 4 kilobyte executable, for example

Trackers were also very prominent in the 90's (some artists still use them), but somewhere around the late 90's - early 2000's, it became possible to do realtime synthesis on modern processors. Today, a lot of 'virtual' synthesizers sound just as good as their real world analogue counterparts.

Demoscene stuff is great. I have a bunch of tunes from zxart.ee on my RC2014 (The YM2149 Card can play Protracker tunes).

I also still use trackers. I have a dedicated hardware tracker (newer piece of hardware) from Polyend, and I also like Renoise, a modern DAW modeled after / using tracker workflow.

Another thing I like to touch on is how synths like MT-32, and more specifically MIDI itself, allowed games to ship with the soundtracks taking a tiny portion of disk space in the grand scheme of things. If you search youtube you will find endless examples of MIDI vs Sound Blaster and so on. Here's Thexder on my Mac Plus with a Roland MT-32 synthesizer:

Another stretch. I have an IMS 8000 S100 computer (Industrial Micro Systems?) They were used in the late 1970's as part of the Crumar GDS synthesizer. Quite a fascinating beast. It's mentioned here: https://m.soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/sets/1979-crumar-general

There also a detailed restoration blog here: https://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?t=77037

..although i cant tell if the cloudflair error is due to my vintage Microsoft phone or if there forum server is down?
Tried on another phone and vintage synth forum is fine - but the blog has all it's picture nuked because of some cheap picture hosting site they used.
Some pics from a Google images search: https://images.app.goo.gl/JdJehoZgReHrvEXv7

You can see the IMS 8000 under the terminal in the middle background of the main image

Back