• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

eBay Auction for a "VERY RARE" XT-IDE board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckster_in_Jax

Veteran Member
Someone just listed an XT-IDE board on eBay:

eBay item # 190719205714

Description:

"I have here a VERY rare 8bit IDE card for the original PC/XT 8088 class of computers.
This is a modern card called the XT-IDE. it lets you use newer ide hard drives with your vintage XT class computers.
I pulled this out of the ultimate IBM XT I built for kicks a few years back. its time to part it out, so..."

Someone has already bid on it.

That's a shame. Allthough the listing price is not "way up there", the seller does more or less nothing to really clarify the intentions behind the card and how much it is actually worth. All he states is the practical intentions, and for the rest he just claims it "rare".

That's a shame. Allthough the listing price is not "way up there", the seller does more or less nothing to really clarify the intentions behind the card and how much it is actually worth. All he states is the practical intentions, and for the rest he just claims it "rare".

At least he didn't say "L@@K!"

I guess the glass half-full way of looking at the auction is "well, at least he's not junking it, and whoever buys it is likely going to put it to use".

...and technically, it is rare. It's one of the earlier prototypes before there were mounting holes for the bracket. Probably one of the first 50 or so cards we produced.

if I dig through my paypal history I could probably find out who this is; certainly a member here, but as long as the price doesn't skyrocket over what the actual cost is, I don't care anymore.

If someone doesn't want it anymore what are they supposed to do with it? What if he's just trying to recoup his costs?

I guess the glass half-full way of looking at the auction is "well, at least he's not junking it, and whoever buys it is likely going to put it to use".

And considering that the card has this forum's URL etched right onto it, they might pay us a visit and join, if they haven't already.

3 days left and it's already at $76. IMO, no matter who it is, the guy's an asshole. Profiting off of others' work, knowingly being secretive in his auction by not being up-front that it is neither vintage, nor rare, nor even giving an obvious pointer back to the website. Though at least he didn't obscure the silkscreen. Unfortunately, too many bidders are obviously too lazy to come here looking for the same card...

Andrew what would a XT IDE board cost according to the BOM?

Hi
Depends on what options you selected and where you get your parts. If you don't install the ROM and UART then the XT-IDE V2 is just few latches, transceivers, and some miscellaneous glue logic. You can probably build it from the bench stock on your desk or parts from the shop for next to nothing. I used scrap junk on mine and it worked fine and didn't order a single part for the PCB version (I do recall Hargle getting parts for the wire-wrap prototype board though... Thanks Hargle!)

If you buy everything from Jameco or Digikey I am *guessing* you can do it for less than $50. You might want to ask around a bit though. As with every home brew board project there are as many ways to build it as there are builders and each one is different. The range of costs will spread all over the place from almost nothing to very expensive.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS here is the BOM

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showwiki.php?title=XTIDE+Rev2

3 days left and it's already at $76. IMO, no matter who it is, the guy's an asshole. Profiting off of others' work, knowingly being secretive in his auction by not being up-front that it is neither vintage, nor rare, nor even giving an obvious pointer back to the website. Though at least he didn't obscure the silkscreen. Unfortunately, too many bidders are obviously too lazy to come here looking for the same card...
Do you know who the seller is? Ho do you know that he's even the original owner? How do you know that he got it here? He might be the second or third owner of this card and not have any idea whatsoever of its origins. Until we know who's actually selling it we're just making assumptions. Now, someone could ask him directly where he got this fantastic little oddity. Then we would all be an a more knowledgable position.

Maverick1978 said

And this is something new and unexpected on eBay ?
patscc

Please see earlier comment about Karma. He can run but he can't hide.

Don't worry one bit. It will all settle out in the end.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back