• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

eBay Auction for a "VERY RARE" XT-IDE board

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest problem is the whole "karma" thing. I wish I knew who he was just so I don't inadvertently buy anything from him through VCM.
I glommed onto this thread a bit late, though, does anyone remember what the card was originally listed at ?
patscc

[snip]I'm not presently rich but that little dab of money is nothing; its simply in this case "DIRTY PAPER" and not worth it or my honor for going back on something I said I would not do!:cool:

Hi
That is the essence of this whole situation and also why we should not concerns ourselves about it any longer. If the person is willing to go back on his word for some trifling sum of money then he has or will have even bigger problems. It is a self correcting situation!

I say let's just let it go. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I say let's just let it go. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch!

You're right, I like here so much because we're in 98% of time in a good mood, and ready to help. These discussion aren't leading to anywhere at this moment( I think ), I'm going to be happy and do my launch. If this card appears into Brazil I will let you guys now.

This is the second post in the thread.
per said
That's a shame. Allthough the listing price is not "way up there", the seller does more or less nothing to really clarify the intentions behind the card and how much it is actually worth. All he states is the practical intentions, and for the rest he just claims it "rare".

vwestlife, somehow I don't think money is the issue here.
patscc

I'm sure the buyer is aware of this forum/cards origin and felt that $111.11 was worth paying to get his hands on an assembled one. Certainly he appreciates the work of the people who made the XT-IDE possible and though he himself bought it on eBay he would not resell it there as he is undoubtedly aware of the view people here have on the subject. Should that person nonetheless be ashamed that he bought it, I wonder?

-Isaac

I don't think there's any blame on the buyer. It'd be great to be able to let bidders know "Hey, here's the forum, with all the folks that invented and designed the thing available, and if you post and ask for help, someone will help you put one together"
Maybe the buyer was aware of the forum, and just didn't dig into it enough.
On the other hand, maybe the buyer did exactly that, and had a response of "Sure, you can buy mine for $200" , or "Sure, I'll build you one for $150". Who knows ?
It will be interesting to see if posts will start appearing with questions on how to get the card to work, though, and how folks react.
patscc

Maybe the buyer is/was already a member of this forum?

When my 5150 "planar" died, a very generous person on this forum sent me one for free (I paid shipping) with the only stipulation being that I not sell it on eBay. I needed it and was/am grateful for his generosity and would never eBay it for any reason.

If I had a verbal agreement on not reselling an XT-IDE I would honor it as if it was a signed contract, as I did with the 5150 planar. Besides, why would I want to sell it? They really don't grow on trees and I've never seen one on eBay before.

I do understand those who are upset over all this - a hobby is a hobby, not a commercial enterprise, and that's the way it should be.

-Isaac

You're right, I like here so much because we're in 98% of time in a good mood, and ready to help. These discussion aren't leading to anywhere at this moment( I think ), I'm going to be happy and do my launch. If this card appears into Brazil I will let you guys now.

Hey little buddy, BTW-no problem; I got ya; you know what I am referencing to. And just so ya know; I didn't buy that card but I did send Andrew a Paypal for two of the bare boards.
Anyway, isn't Brazil like the 5th largest country in the world in between China and Australia with the worlds largest Portuguese speaking population? Unless I am wrong its not much smaller than the U.S. in land mass which is not really saying much if you compare either of our countries to Russia which is almost twice the size of all of the top five.(I learned that from dating a Portuguese girl from Brazil over in Hawaii 35 yrs. ago; she was a student at UH) You must get around a lot! I love your enthusiasm and passion; I guess that sort of passion for something is what drove Magellan to circumnavigate the world!

Maybe the buyer is/was already a member of this forum?

When my 5150 "planar" died, a very generous person on this forum sent me one for free (I paid shipping) with the only stipulation being that I not sell it on eBay. I needed it and was/am grateful for his generosity and would never eBay it for any reason.

If I had a verbal agreement on not reselling an XT-IDE I would honor it as if it was a signed contract, as I did with the 5150 planar. Besides, why would I want to sell it? They really don't grow on trees and I've never seen one on eBay before.

I do understand those who are upset over all this - a hobby is a hobby, not a commercial enterprise, and that's the way it should be.

-Isaac

I heard this before with that 128K mac prototype. From a free "please take good care of it" to "it's one of a kind and worth the hefty price tag I demand" in only the hands of two people.

Someone who got a Mac prototype from someone dirt cheap, bragged about it here then put it on ebay for an insane price in a nutshell. While frowned upon here, some people only are in it for the money (not like they can make what they ask, I can say my suit case is worth $10,000,000 but that doesn't mean anyone will ever give me the money for it).

Musta missed that one. I take it sold for an insane amount of money ?
I just couldn't live with myself. But then, that's folks.
I've coaxed a few good deals from owners that wanted an appreciative home for their box, still have them, couldn't bear to sell them.
But, like I said, them's folks.
Back in World War II some of them's folks ancestors probably watered down penicillin they got from allied medicos and sold the stuff on the black market.
patscc

Well sure someone out there will always claim honesty then demonstrate dishonesty. Don't lump others in there who don't belong. Look at someone's reputation before drawing conclusions.

Unlike that person, I honored the agreement and if anyone can prove otherwise I'll eat my hat. The high price of vintage equipment today is disturbing to me. I routinely see items I would have given away sell for what I consider large sums of money. I bid on a 386 DX-40 that went up to almost $100 dollars once - something that ten years ago wouldn't be worth a wooden nickel. Look at the Acculogic 8-bit. With the XT-IDE available, who would want one? I see them listed nonetheless for hundreds of dollars on eBay. This is highway robbery.

I've always wanted an IBM AT in good shape but the asking prices are so unreasonable most of the time that I don't bother. This is a hobby, not a business and so it isn't worth it to me.

The equation seems: Low supply + low demand = astronomical prices.

-Isaac

Someone who got a Mac prototype from someone dirt cheap, bragged about it here then put it on ebay for an insane price in a nutshell. While frowned upon here, some people only are in it for the money (not like they can make what they ask, I can say my suit case is worth $10,000,000 but that doesn't mean anyone will ever give me the money for it).

That usually happens with kids, they beg for stuff and then flip it to make money for other things. Same kids seem to go nuts for a few months and then get bored of the hobby and sell off or junk their stuff.

Once you sell or give something away what happens to it is out of your hands. I purchased an XT-IDE board (assembled it but never got it to work sitting on the shelf to when I feel like messing with it again since I have 8 bit SCSI cards). Who is to say what I will feel like doing with it and my XT 10 years from now. Its one thing to snag something to flip it, its another to use it and get bored of it down the road and then resell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back