• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

eBay Auction for a "VERY RARE" XT-IDE board

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point - looking at his other listings it is clear he really is parting out an XT. If an item is rare and there is a demand for it then you can never keep the price artificially low. Someone will make an offer that can't be refused.

Someone who got a Mac prototype from someone dirt cheap, bragged about it here then put it on ebay for an insane price in a nutshell.

It's a local story here. It belonged to a shop owner who had it given to them by Apple in the 80s'. They put it in a closet for the past 28 years or so and then when they found it again they put it up for grabs to whoever was willing to take good care of it. No money was asked. They just wanted to see it go to a good home. It ends up in the hands of the first guy who I know who is also the first person to photograph it. Before me and a friend could reach him regarding taking more photographs and various stuff like archiving the ROMs he got approached by a local scumbag of an ebay seller and bought it for $5000 cash. Almost the very next day he had it up for $100000.
Anyways, I guess that is an extreme case but it's still low to see the XT-IDE try to be flipped for so much.

The bidding *was* open for anyone, and someone wanted to pay $100 for it. The seller wasn't responsible for the final income he received.
Capitalism is what drives the economy.

With that said, I think what everyone is trying to say, is that the listing should have referenced the XTIDE project, and that more can be made/obtained. Opposed to the implication that this is a rare item no longer manufactured.

The bidding *was* open for anyone, and someone wanted to pay $100 for it. The seller wasn't responsible for the final income he received.
Capitalism is what drives the economy.

With that said, I think what everyone is trying to say, is that the listing should have referenced the XTIDE project, and that more can be made/obtained. Opposed to the implication that this is a rare item no longer manufactured.

Yes, IMO the listed was deceitful. Plays on peoples ignorance of the XT-IDE project. Or maybe someone that wasn't comfortable soldering was willing to pay that much for an assembled and tested board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back