• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ebay sellers

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Back before Christmas, I ordered a couple of USB A-to-A adapters--seller claimed to be from US with free shipping. Yesterday, I received a notice of postage due from the USPS, for more than the sale price of the adapters. Naturally, I refused delivery and filed an eBay request for refund.
Apparently, some eBay sellers are using Media Mail rates for all sorts of non-media stuff--and the USPS is clamping down on the practice.
Offering solely as possibly useful information for others.

One thing I have noticed in the past few months is sellers of ele tronic components on ebay claiming they are based in the US but the item shows up orange connex from china.

The interesting thing is that the carrier left USPS form 3849, but a check at usps.com says that the article number is invalid.
Not my problem.

A long time ago somebody sent me a Mac IIfx media mail and the post office never checked it. I think games should qualify for media mail, or at least used to.

I ordered an industrial 386 computer on eBay not too long ago from Puerto Rico. The box was delivered USPS and the seller had written BOOKS!!!! all over the box. I'd clamp down on that too. It really sucks, because I use media mail all the time to mail floppy disks out. I hope they don't make it more difficult.

Games don't quality for media mail. Games and Entertainment are exlcuded.

Got a refund, so I'm good. Seller claims to be in Duluth, GA.
Are you sure? Often Chinese vendors have some sort of staging company so whilst the listing says the goods are in the UK the vendor isn't. So this:-

says "UK Stock" which will be true, but if you check the vendor's location it says China.

Are you sure? Often Chinese vendors have some sort of staging company so whilst the listing says the goods are in the UK the vendor isn't. So this:-

says "UK Stock" which will be true, but if you check the vendor's location it says China.

that is so strange. how does ebay allow that? How can you even set that up? I have no option foe that. Are they getting special priviledge?

that is so strange. how does ebay allow that? How can you even set that up? I have no option foe that. Are they getting special priviledge?

Ebay doesn't care. As long as they get their cut of the sale, anything goes as long as it doesn't attract government attention. Same goes with Amazon, Wish, AliExpress, etc.

No special privilege. If you go into your account you can set multiple dispatch address. They can be different countries. Just to test I set up two.

1673785775961.png

When listing you can set the pick up address as well. Note the change..

1673786015346.png

Manufacturer is probably using a channel partner. The company I work for uses channel partners.

A channel partner is a company — such as a reseller, service provider, vendor, retailer or agent — that partners with another organization to market or sell their services, products or technologies.

A prime example of the channel partner business model is Amazon. Independent vendors have set up online shops, selling millions of products from a variety of companies and manufacturers, every single day.

Last edited:
well thats just terrible.
How else would you organize things? I actually own properties at both locations, and recently bought something from Italy and had it delivered from Spain as that is in the EU so I don't get challenged for VAT (sales tax) or the fee the UK Royal Mail charge for collecting it. I can the legally bring it back to the UK as a personal item. If I was selling small items to the EU it would be much simpler to dispatch them from Spain, but my residence is in the UK.

I find with Amazon its much harder. They hide the item and vendor location.

I understand there are practical uses. But you also understand that this is easily exploitable. For instance American sellers of certain items charge more than thier counterpart sellers in china but can delivery much faster. Now a chinese seller can charge just as much but will fall short on the shipping times.

Sometimes I dont mind waiting for an item form china if I have no pressing timeframe. But other times I need it much sooner and try to find a more local seller. IF its fictitious informating it screws up my timeframe.

And yes AMAZON does hide it... very well.

I think you mis-understand the way this can be used. If it says the item ships from the USA then it must be in stock and ship from the USA. The estimated delivery time reflects this.
Take this MMDVM board for digital voice radio:-

For me the expected delivery time is 4 to 8 days. On looking at the sellers feedback...

delivery time "5 Star". If they are shipping from China there is no way they will achieve that level. Currently shipping times from China are around three to four weeks so this similar board

which ships from China is showing an expected delivery time of 9th-13th Feb.

So if a Chinese seller tries to ship from China generally their feedback score plummets, folks complain to e-bay and they don't do any business.
The only time I have ever had an issue with this was when I bought a battery for a laptop. The picture showed a black battery, but a cream one arrived.

I understand there are practical uses. But you also understand that this is easily exploitable. For instance American sellers of certain items charge more than thier counterpart sellers in china but can delivery much faster. Now a chinese seller can charge just as much but will fall short on the shipping times.

As in my case--purchased (and supposedly shipped) December 23, but delivery not attempted until January 10--from Duluth, GA.

Back