• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Emulex UC08

PG31

Veteran Member
I've just acquired an UC08, Has anyone any tips for particular hard drives that they have succsefullty used on this controller or a UC07? I don't want to go buying disks and strugle to get them working.
I would like to get Ultrix or BSD on it eventually. Thanks.

Hi,

I have a UC07 that I acquired for my PDP-11/23. It works great. Very easy. Any of the older Macintosh SCSI hard disks will work, as well as the SCSI version of the 100 MB Zip drive.

Good luck!
smp

I just dug through my pile of Q-bus boards and found a UC08. I would like to use it to get UNIX running on an 11/53.

Should be fairly easy, if 2.11BSD counts as UNIX. I have messed around with installing that a bunch of times on my 11/53 and 11/73 systems. I have used CMD CQD-200 and CQD-220 SCSI controllers and don't have any direct experience using the Emulex SCSI controllers but imagine it is all pretty similar.

One of the last patches for 2.11BSD was specifically to enable use with the CMD controllers. Be sure to take a good look at the patch list and make sure you are current. No idea if this patch would allow use of one of the Emulex controllers.

Jack

One of the last patches for 2.11BSD was specifically to enable use with the CMD controllers. Be sure to take a good look at the patch list and make sure you are current. No idea if this patch would allow use of one of the Emulex controllers.

Jack

The 2.11BSD distribution here is through patch level 431:
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/ucb/2.11BSD/

The most recent patch file I can find on my system at the moment is 447.

One of the fixes included in patch 441 is the following:

3. The MSCP bootblock would not work with a CMD CQD220 adaptor due
to the bootblock relying on the (undocumented?) behaviour of DEC
adaptors.

That is a patch to the /usr/src/sys/mdec/rauboot.s source file, which gets rebuilt into the rauboot boot block, which would then be copied to the boot block of an MSCP controlled disk drive.

Without that patch everything installs and works fine with a CMD CQD-220 MSCP controlled disk, except that you can't do the initial boot from the disk. You could still do the initial boot from another device, and then finish the boot from the disk, though that is a hassle you don't want to do.

No idea if the same issue also occurs with the Emulex SCSI controllers, I don't have one of those to try. I don't think the same issue occurs with Dilog SCSI controller, I don't remember it happening with an SQ706A.

-Glen

Also, with 2.11BSD on an 11/53 you will probably want to install patch 433, which includes a fix for the following issue:

Description:
1. A PDP-11/53 is misidentified as a 11/45 by 'boot'.

Repeat-By:
1. Boot a 11/53, notice that the prompt is "45boot:" instead of
"53boot"

The fix for this issue patches the /usr/src/sys/pdpstand/M.s source file.

-Glen

Back