• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EPROM Programmer Recommendations

lsi11al

I am ready to burn some new EPROMs (Intel 2716) for my bdv11 board. Never having done this before I am looking for recommendations on what programmer to purchase.

Thank you!

Al

The USB Version Minipro TL-866 does the 2716's.

So, does the Willem-Programmer ver6 PCB6.0LPT -- 2716(Vpp25V)

Larry

Unfortunately, although the TL866 lists 2716's, it will not generate 25v to properly program them.

Although a very cute and inexpensive programmer, the TL866 lists many types it will not program properly. The 2716 and 22V10 are just two that have frustrated me.

I use an older Needham programmer for 2716's. If you just need a few programmed pm me and I can help you.

- Gary

- Gary
The USB Version Minipro TL-866 does the 2716's.
So, does the Willem-Programmer ver6 PCB6.0LPT -- 2716(Vpp25V)
Larry

Assuming that you can hook it up to your computer, an older EPROM programmer is probably your best best. Few (if any) new designs use (E)EPROMs--things have moved on. So your best results are probably going to be from a second-hand programmer, particularly if you're working in the 2708-27256 range of devices.

Thank you all for the suggestions and information. I have ordered the Willem Programmer and will give it a try.

-Al

I got my eraser from Ebay, not sure if it was a home built one or not but it does work and the bulb is easy to replace if needed.

Unfortunately, although the TL866 lists 2716's, it will not generate 25v to properly program them.
Although a very cute and inexpensive programmer, the TL866 lists many types it will not program properly. The 2716 and 22V10 are just two that have frustrated me.

If you extend the pulse time and burn 3 or 4 times I've found it can burn most 2716's

Also ST M2716 chips use 21v for programming and are quite cheap and readily available on ebay.

Last edited:
Not really the answer to your question but....
I loaded my BVD11 with 28c16 eeproms. pin compatible (well enough) and modern programmers handle them well.

joe

For what it’s worth, i’ve had no issue programming 2732’s with my tl-866. Pin compatible with 2716, and I just burn the image in both banks. I’ve also done GALs with no problems whatsoever.

After some trials and tribulations I got the Willem Programmer hooked up to the parallel port of a computer. I then placed a 2716 (supposedly blank) eprom into the programmer socket and checked to see if the 2716 was indeed blank. Apparently none of them read as blank. They all read as shown in the picture of the buffer contents. Those contents repeat throughout the whole buffer. I can't help thinking I am doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Al

006.jpg

Al,
There are several jumpers and a dip switch that has to be set for each Selection of IC.

This PNG shows all of the various jumpers and DIP Switch.

What Version of Software are you running ver 6.0?

Larry

1.jpg

Al,
There are several jumpers and a dip switch that has to be set for each Selection of IC.

This PNG shows all of the various jumpers and DIP Switch.

What Version of Software are you running ver 6.0?

Larry

View attachment 45785

Larry,

Yes I am running version 6.0. The answer might be in the jumpers as the figure provided and what appears on the board don't really match up well. On the right of the sockets I see Jumpers 5, 9, 1, 2, 7, 8, and 6. Also see a jumper 3 to the left of the DIP switch. Is there some file I am missing that explains more about the jumpers?

-Al

Al,
Somewhere I located a folder named "pcb6.0lpt_manual_R1" and it contains a file eprom.htm. I click on that and Firefox opens a document
with some of the information. What isn't explained very well is how to set the programming voltage by the two jumpers. The picture
shows 12V 15V 21V 25V and then there are two white lines that go to the two associated jumpers. The different positions of the jumpers select
the voltage. The Jumper for Vpp is also kind of hard to locate. Or at least it was for me.

It's been a while since I used mine, but it worked GREAT.

Larry

With the Willem PCB6.0 when a 2716 or 2732 is selected there is a PCB3 in parenthesis after the eprom number. It is not there for a 2764. If I read any of my non-programmed 2716s or a TMS 2516 (which was programmed) I get identical contents using a hex compare program. If I compare one of the 2716s with a 2732 which was also previously programmed the hex compare shows identity between the 2716 and first half of the 2732. The 2764 (also previously programmed) has completely different content. I think the clues is in that (PCB3) but I don't know what to do about it.

I have not seen that, but will try to dig out my system and Willem Programmer and see if I have the same PCB3 after the EPROM number.
It may take me a few days to locate my programmer as I have moved and some stuff is still in boxes.

Larry

Back