• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ESDI drives

Amigaz

Experienced Member
I have a Western Digital 150mb 5.25in full height ESDI harddrive in my Dell System 310 which is the factory installed hdd in it.
Does these beasts park their heads automatically when you turn off your PC?
Read somewhere that these things had some "cache" , do I still need for example smartdrive?

I have a Western Digital 150mb 5.25in full height ESDI harddrive in my Dell System 310 which is the factory installed hdd in it.
Does these beasts park their heads automatically when you turn off your PC?
Most likely yes. An ESDI drive of that size would've been expensive enough that self-parking would be a standard feature.

Most likely yes. An ESDI drive of that size would've been expensive enough that self-parking would be a standard feature.

Yeah, I guess so

I really like this drive...it rattles nicely when it works...quite fast too and not that noisy
It's like having a straight six GM engine from the 60's under you hood....

Here's some pic's of the beast it's in
http://picasaweb.google.se/jivemaster2005/VintageDellPC#

The box is very similar to the IMB 5170, same back breaking weight and dimensions and PSU

model

model

Just out of curiosity, what model is the Western Digital drive ?
Microscience made a few that didn't have autopark, that I know of.
patscc

drive & controller

drive & controller

I think that's the controller. Power-off autopark is a function of the drive. Do you have the drive's model number ?
patscc

I think that's the controller. Power-off autopark is a function of the drive. Do you have the drive's model number ?
patscc

I'll see if I can find a model number on it but I'll have to do it at later time since I don't want to remove the case cover right now....I've already removed it lots of times :p

I'll see if I can find a model number on it but I'll have to do it at later time since I don't want to remove the case cover right now....I've already removed it lots of times :p
On 5¼" hard drives the autopark is usually audible when you turn the power off, as a click, a plink, or a buzz. I have a full-height 5¼" Seagate 1.2GB SCSI drive and its autopark makes a very noticeable CLICK! when you turn the power off. It also makes the same loud click upon power-on when it spins up to speed and the parking lock unlatches.

IBM's full-height ESDI drives (as used in early PS/2s) make a funny "TINK-Tink-tink-tink" pin-dropping sound when the parking lock unlatches. :) I opened one up, and yes, that is actually the sound of the heads bouncing around! :eek:

latch

latch

vwestlife said...up to speed and the parking lock unlatches.
That's probably your best acoustic clue, since they take forever to spin up, and then the load unlatching noise. I'd completely forgotten about that.
patscc

On 5¼" hard drives the autopark is usually audible when you turn the power off, as a click, a plink, or a buzz. I have a full-height 5¼" Seagate 1.2GB SCSI drive and its autopark makes a very noticeable CLICK! when you turn the power off. It also makes the same loud click upon power-on when it spins up to speed and the parking lock unlatches.

IBM's full-height ESDI drives (as used in early PS/2s) make a funny "TINK-Tink-tink-tink" pin-dropping sound when the parking lock unlatches. :) I opened one up, and yes, that is actually the sound of the heads bouncing around! :eek:

Ahh....that click is very audible here when I start or shut down the machine :)

Back