• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Everex STEP Megacube Part Deux

Great thread! Just ran across it while searching for something else on Google.

I bought a Megacube EISA 486/33 new-in-box on eBay several years ago--it was still factory-complete with all manuals, disks, and accessories.

I set it up with a couple of Adaptec SCSI cards, two or three 9GB Seagate narrow SCSI drives, ATI video, Intel 10/100 NIC, 486/100 overdrive, etc. As I recall, I had NT 3.51 server on it, but don't hold me to that.

Unfortunately, I got really busy with a project at work, and ran out of time. So I removed all the cards and drives, re-packed it carefully in the original box with the original packing materials, and put it in the garage. And that's where it still sits today.

This thread is tempting me to get it out again. It's just a beautiful system, a tribute to Everex quality back in the day.

Last edited:
I just checked my files--I bought the Step Megacube in September 1999 on Ebay for $71.00. Here's the stock picture the seller used in the auction:

cc11-7.jpg

That's so cool. I also had a 486/100ODPR in mine for a week or so, but when I saw it disabled the 256K onboard cache, back to the 'bay it went and back in went the 486DX2/66. If you're interested in posting any OEM binaries, I'm sure we'd both be interested. Golly, I think we have enough to start our own forum now!

That's so cool. I also had a 486/100ODPR in mine for a week or so, but when I saw it disabled the 256K onboard cache, back to the 'bay it went and back in went the 486DX2/66. If you're interested in posting any OEM binaries, I'm sure we'd both be interested. Golly, I think we have enough to start our own forum now!

Didn't know or forgot that the 486/100 overdrive disabled the cache--I barely got started with it before I had to put it away. Is there any other CPU upgrade that works correctly? I've got a pile of them--Intel, AMD, Cyrix--stashed away.

I'd be happy to post binaries, when and if I ever get it out of the garage. It's sitting on top of a row of IBM model 95 and 500 servers, and has more stuff stacked on top and in front of it. It's a rather large box. ;)

Very NICE! That is just beautiful! If you ever want to sell it... ;)

Well, I've got a female member of the household that would like to see a lot of old computers go away. So you never know . . .

BTW, Everex's advertisements for the Megacube implied that upgrade mobos would be available. Do you know if any were ever developed, and if so, what were the specs/parts numbers?

Well, keep in me ind if she insists! :) And no, I am not aware of upgrade mobos. I am just getting to know the little beasty! However, it wouldn't be far feteched : they used the same case for a 386, 486 ISA, and 486 EISA. So as long as the holes on the mobo matched up it should be good.

Didn't know or forgot that the 486/100 overdrive disabled the cache--I barely got started with it before I had to put it away. Is there any other CPU upgrade that works correctly? I've got a pile of them--Intel, AMD, Cyrix--stashed away.

I'd be happy to post binaries, when and if I ever get it out of the garage. It's sitting on top of a row of IBM model 95 and 500 servers, and has more stuff stacked on top and in front of it. It's a rather large box. ;)

You might want to try the AMD AM5x86-75. It runs at 133 MHz and if you can do a DX4 or comparable, it will work for you. You can find it anywhere for $20 or less. You will need the heatsink/fan combo, however.

You might want to try the AMD AM5x86-75. It runs at 133 MHz and if you can do a DX4 or comparable, it will work for you. You can find it anywhere for $20 or less. You will need the heatsink/fan combo, however.

I've got two or three of those, having used them on several 486 systems back when. One is in a PS/2 9595 server, where it's clocked at 150Mhz on a DX50 processor board. I also have a 133Mhz Cyrix 5x86, packaged in a Gainbery overdrive kit, that I've never used. That would be interesting if it's compatible--it's got some Pentium level features and supposed to offer Pentium 90 performance.

BTW, Everex's advertisements for the Megacube implied that upgrade mobos would be available. Do you know if any were ever developed, and if so, what were the specs/parts numbers?

The archive.org Everex pages start in 1996 and it seems that neither their Pentium nor Penium Pro servers used the cube enclosure. So you've probably got the end-of-the-line.

Finally got around to upgrading the memory to 64MB:

eda6f952.jpg

What I learned today:

1. DOS 6.22 will not allow a date to be set in 2010, but will work if the date is already set.

2. Windows 98 version of DOS will crash on boot if the date is 01-01-80 and you have 64MB of RAM!

3. It is a PITA to find the bad SIMM in a batch of 16!

Last edited:
Provels,

I finally got my hand on the original Everex Disks and found the speed utility. However, when I tried it on my system, even though it indicated it worked, the light on the front panel did not switch. I am going to try to image the disks this weekend and post them.

A little finishing work....

A little finishing work....

Well,

I haven't posted for a while now, but work has continued. Most of the equipment is setup and now the fun SW aspect begins. I still need to install the AWE32 and LAPC-I but that should be straightforward enough.... Yeah Right! :)

In the meanwhile I finally decided to re-do the side panels and the top. They were quite beat up and damaged:

9d3f0fac.jpg

fd69c035.jpg

I sandblasted the old paint off, sprayed on texture and re-painted the sides. I also tried to take out any dents and bends but you know what they say "The enemy of good is better!"

Finished Product:

e29c3ef5.jpg

Wow, I remember playing with one of these back in high school when it was donated to our schools computer lab (which was mostly IBM AT's at the time), I remember we all fought over who got to work on this one, which at the time was running WFW 3.11, vs windows 3.0 on all the ATs.

Very nice! This is really coming together.

Thanks. Yep, I would say the HW is 90% there. I am having a conflict between the SB/SD-15 and LAPC-I card but I think I know whats the problem there. Only thing left to install is a high speed serial port and parallel port ISA card. I can then close the box and concentrate on software.

A few wish list items remain (highest to lowest priority):

1. Elsa Winner 2000 EISA Video
2. 66MHz 486DX CPU Upgrade
3. Teac FD-235J (not sure the BIOS could even make use of this)
4. Copy II PC Deluxe ENHANCED Option Board
4. Stacker Co-Processor board (although it seems as if I have run out of slots for one!)

Planned upgrades:
1. Round SCSI cables 68pin and 50 pin
2. Round Floppy Cable (need an Edge Card to 34 Pin Converter)
3. Maybe another HDD although 2GB should be more than enough for the SW of the late 80s early 90s....

Last edited:
Back