• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EvilBay

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
Knowing how we all feel about fleaBay/EvilBay, If you listed something on eBay, and a known buy-to-resell ID bid on your stuff, would you nuke their bid and block?

I want the stuff I'm selling to go to people who will appreciate them, and it's NOT just about the money, so if I lose out on $20-30 I'm OK with it, seeing as how it will end up.

What would you guys do?

With the people turning stuff over, especially with this ID doing Buy-It-Now only at inflated prices, people that REALLY want the stuff, aren't able to get it.
That kinda' ruffles my feathers a bit...

Opinions welcome, in either direction...

T

To me also, it is about getting stuff to the right people. Although I do understand that some people sell on eBay as a business, some of them are downright greedy and I wonder if they end up selling the stuff in the end. I also expect added value when the price is not really low. To charge a good price the seller needs to have relevant expertise so I can have confidence in what I'm getting. I'll pay $20 for something in a speciality store that I would think twice about paying $5 for at a garage sale. Many eBay sellers are like a garage sale, but charge speciality store prices.

Now you're going towards that slippery slope. What you propose is just as bad as the guy who doesn't follow through on a sale because he feels the bidding didn't go high enough. Both your and his approaches are wrong and if that's where you're coming from maybe you should stay away from eBay altogether. Anything you do to stiffle, supress, rig or otherwise alter the normal flow of commerce there is what's EVIL. If you only want your stuff to go to people who will appreciate it for what it is then eBay is definately not your cup of tea. Just sell it here and places like this. Actually, even if you sell it here what's to keep the buyer from reselling it for a nice profit? Can you read people's minds from their posts? Bid nuking is just wrong, for any reason.

I'm not too keen on people buying my stuff to resell it.

Use the VC Marketplace. ( http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com/ ). It is less likely to happen there. The audience is smaller, but the more sellers we get, the more buyers we'll attract.

I've had some people buy/win things and then disappear without completing the transaction. But on all of the transactions I've completed, they've been good. I probably didn't make as much as I could have at eBay, but I'm satisfied that the items went to people who really wanted them.

I wouldn't allow known resellers to nab valued items that I've put up on there. Because they don't see the true value of vintage technology like this, and how they're more rare than computers today. I too give a "+1" to using the Marketplace here for safer selling of items of the intent that it will go to a good home. I see eBay as more of a "throw it out there" place where it is more or less advertising your item than finding a dedicated market for it.

If you only want your stuff to go to people who will appreciate it for what it is then eBay is definately not your cup of tea. Just sell it here and places like this.

I agree. Ebay is a free for all and you can't complain about that. Of you want the right kind of folk, go to where you find them - like right here.

Bid nuking is just wrong, for any reason.

Exactly! I can't help but think about some history regarding only serving certain people in a restaurant or store. It is fundamentally wrong in a public place.

To be clear, the auction just started last night, so it's not like I'm trying to get out of a completed transaction.
At this point, I could cancel his bid, block him, and the auction would continue.

Just trying to figure out if that would cause more grief than good - my current eBay account is from about 1998, and my previous (lost when I lost the email addy when I switched jobs in 1997) was from 1995 or so.
Think it was called AuctionWeb back then? www.ebay.com/aw ring any bells for the old-timers? :)

To be clear... if *ANY* eBay seller were to cancel a bid of mine (if that can even be done) and if eBay did not take swift and appropriate action to immediately rectify the seller's action(s) I would commence legal action against both the seller and eBay. You've got to realize that there are consequences to actions like the one you have proposed. Are the consequences, regardless of those actions' successful outcome or not, worth taking those foolhardy actions in the first place?

Of course it can be done, and I've done it before, although usually only to those who have cost me grief in the past, ie, not paying, etc....
I believe one such situation is in a thread on here, and also the full story behind it.

I hardly see someone taking legal action for their bid being cancelled on a $100-200 computer.

Can we get a little more serious now?

Everyone knows you can't really sue someone even for not paying for their item and completing the transaction, as that's already been played out in courtrooms across the country, and shot down hundreds of times.
So you're talking about suing someone because they cancelled your bid?

:facepalm:

I just had a seller on eBay cancel my purchase yesterday. He refunded my money after claiming to have lost the item. I have no idea if he lost it or not and have no ability to help him look for it. What now?

I just had a seller on eBay cancel my purchase yesterday. He refunded my money after claiming to have lost the item. I have no idea if he lost it or not and have no ability to help him look for it. What now?

Well, YOU'RE talking about a transaction that closed - my auction just began last night.

I believe you have to agree to cancel the transaction using the system - not sure, though.
How do you lose an item you just listed? Sounds like BS. Probably got a higher offer either electronically or locally.

I'd see if you can file a complaint based on the transaction. I figure, if a seller can file a complaint for non-pay, there has to be a way for a buyer to do a non-complete.

It might be disappointing but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's not a BIN from the reseller so others can bid against them and still win which in a lot of ways since the reseller needs a bit of markup value vs the buyer who just wants it for a good deal or going value. I wouldn't worry about it too much but I do agree as well with if you're worried and not hurried, certainly post things on the VCGM and it will end up going mostly to folks in this community. The only problem here is I almost feel bad bidding against folks I know lol.

The other step is to remind us what your ebay id is ;-)

Well, YOU'RE talking about a transaction that closed - my auction just began last night.

I believe you have to agree to cancel the transaction using the system - not sure, though.
How do you lose an item you just listed? Sounds like BS. Probably got a higher offer either electronically or locally.

I'd see if you can file a complaint based on the transaction. I figure, if a seller can file a complaint for non-pay, there has to be a way for a buyer to do a non-complete.

It was a cheap PCMCIA card so no big deal in the end. It's just irritating and yes he could have been giving me BS, which was my point here. Clumsy and disorganised, but he sounded genuine. I responded by saying that I wouldn't leave any feedback, but that it did delay my project and cause me some trouble. IOW, communicate the results of his actions, but drop the subject after that. There is nothing to be gained by either of us from pursuing it beyond that.

About putting something up for auction and not liking the buyer, that just doesn't seem like it would normally be addressed in an eBay (or normal auction) contract. Generally when something is auctioned off it is up to the winning bidder what they do with the item. They could bin it they want since they then have complete ownership. One has to accept that. If you want to retain some part ownership in the item, that would have to be in a special contract.

Since you posted these words of wisdom I'm going to take this opportunity to hijack this thread a bit. My apologies to the OP. :)
About putting something up for auction and not liking the buyer, that just doesn't seem like it would normally be addressed in an eBay (or normal auction) contract.
That statement opens up a can of worms with regard to eBay being any type of auction as the term is properly used. We all know what an auction is so there's no need to describe that. EBay, OTOH, is not an auction but rather an electronic game some people play where they try to first determine how much something of interest could be had for and then go ahead and take a stab at it all the while hoping that nobody else takes a higher stab at some point. This is nothing at all like actual auction bidding where each bid placed is exact, precise and to-the-point. I like to think of eBay as a... 'quasi-style auction for pussies'. :) That being said I will admit that I like eBay because it offers features that a true auction does not, not the least of which is unattended bid increases within a predefined range which allows the freedom to not have to be there all the time or even not be there any of the time. EBay still remains a bastardized auction, at best, however, IMO.

I'm just going to leave things as-is. After all, if I can't go back and say I've never bought something on eBay to clean up/fix up and resell, then I'd be a hypocrite.

Still, feel free to post a link to the auction here if it's related to our joys. At least you'd give folks here a shot at it also. I think it'll be fine, in the long run the best price wins.

Well, It's an Apple II plus, and I didn't offer it here because I don't have a composite monitor to test it with, although the power light comes on.
I listed it as-is showing pics, and it is in excellent cosmetic shape, but i didn't want anyone pissed at me, so I listed it as-is, $1 first bid, let the bidders set the price to what they'll pay with the info given.

Can't plug it into my TV, as I didn't run any composite ports out of the wall, only 2 HDMI and 2 component, and I'm definitely NOT going to plug it into my $1200 home theater receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-53).
I don't even plug my known working systems into the HT receiver, ie, my Color Computer 3s and such!
Heck, i don't even let my wife connect her iPad to the receiver, and it supports iPhone/iPad video-out through USB!

Back