• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Expansion Interface Power Supply

Dawsoca

Experienced Member
2/27/19 - Power Supply for TRS-80 Expansion Interface

I have been trying to learn KiCad for a while now but I needed a simple project to get started. I recently acquired a Radio Shack Expansion Interface off Ebay so I though a power supply might be a good project. After drawing up the schematic and placing the parts it was fairly easy to order the printed circuit boards (used JLCPCB) from the gerber files. After building the power supply and testing, it seems to work fine plugged into the exansion interface (measurements below). The board was designed to sit within the expansion interface where the two transformers and tray were located. It has jumpers to operate on 240VAC or 120VAC, has MOV power protection, fused and an optional FAN output if needed. The cables are arranged to fit closely to the cover slots for easy access. It will also power the keyboard unit at the same time.

If anyone would like to build this power supply, I have enclosed the Gerbers, Parts List and Schematic below. If PCB fabrication is not your thing, TRS-IAN sells a similar power supply on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Thanks;
Charles

TRS_P2.JPG
View attachment Gerbers_Parts.zip
Results.jpg
TRS_P1.jpg

Back