• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fan direction on TRS-80 Five Meg Disk System

mrarkus

As the title says, does anyone know what direction should the airflow be in the hard drive enclosure? Mine came blowing air in from the back. Not used to this kind of set up, plus it gets a little breezy when having it on! Service manual doesn't say anything about it...

I’m not familiar with the hd inquestion, but I have seen quite a few external drives that had a small air filter in them. If that unit has (had, per the service manual) one, it would tell you where the air was coming from. That should tell you which way the air is supposed to move.

Hopefully someone with a bit more specific knowledge of that drive can give a better answer.

Good luck

J White

According to the Service Manual (available on archive.org) there is a filter on the back of the hard drive over the fan. So the air blowing in from the back is right.

Tom

Yes, the fan sucks air in through a foam filter. Most of those filters have disintegrated to the point where you would not even realize it was there. There are some nice modern replacements that screw right on for a few $.

Back