• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite pizza?/Most common pizza where you live

I learned how the old school Italian shops make pizza sause and other stuff, a ton of salt and MSG! I used to make some when I worked at a pizza shop in the 80's, ratio was 2 cans of pizza sauce to can of tomato paste, lots of oil (belnd of vegetable oil I think), spices mostly of salt, pepper, bacon (look out you veggies and muslims), oregano, MSG, and some other minor stuff. Tasted good when mixed up. The guy used to mix MSG into the cut up peppers and mushrooms he used (all canned). He also got cheap and instead of making the sausage in house (we had a butcher who came in part time and I helped cut, season, grind, cook and drain it) he just purchased it from a local supply company.

These days if I want a pizza I get a pair from Papa Johns on a Tuesday with a buy one get on free coupon. For store baught its not bad (order it crispy so they actually cook the dough all the way).

What I made for dinner tonight:
171_20081230.jpg

Impressed! You meant to write that you're impressed by my cooking! :-D

Nothing fancy: home-made dough, tomato ketchup, grated cheese, slices of ham, some rather bland mushrooms and sliced banana on top.

carlsson wrote:

Impressed! You meant to write that you're impressed by my cooking! :-D

Nothing fancy: home-made dough, tomato ketchup, grated cheese, slices of ham, some rather bland mushrooms and sliced banana on top.

I cannot get past that Banana - I love banana, I'm just wondering how the flavour fits with the rest of the Pizza though? Is that where the Bland mushrooms come into play?

Terry Yager wrote:

So, getting back to the original post, does anyone actually put rotten fish (other than anchovies, which is an authentic Italianism) onto their pizza?

Wouldn't rotten fish be bad?

Fraid I'm never heard of that before.

Bananas don't belong on Italian Food! :eek:

Hehe, well you'd horrified to see the Pizza's they serve here in Ecuador!

You can get Banana's, peaches, cherries, chirmoya (A type of fruit they have here...), etc. You name it.

Pizza is different here. In Ecuador, there are 2 types of Pizza Shops. These are: Ecuadorian, and American. American shops are exactly that; the standard American style Pizza's and whatnot. Standard fare.

Ecuadorian shops, on the other hand, are something different. They have a different style of cooking the pizza's. There are many small differences, the main one being a real Ecuadorian-style pizza has no sauce! Some shops will use chopped, seasoned tomatoes instead (you can get "Salsa de Pizza" if you ask for it though). As I mentioned Earlier, you can get a great Variety of things on pizza here, including fruits, vegetables, meats (There's probably a Guinea pig, or "Cuy" as it's traditionally called here, topping somewhere), etc. Makes for very good variety, but is a little different than "American" pizza!

As far as Favorite types, not sure about that. "Margarita" Pizza is popular (It's a pizza that has Mozzarella and possibly some local cheeses, cilantro, parsley, garlic, and some other things. No sauce though :D). I imagine the meat pizza's are popular too.

Guinea Pig

Guinea Pig

Kaypro said...There's probably a Guinea pig, or "Cuy" as it's traditionally called here

Guinea pig, as in the cute cuddly things kids of all ages over here keep as pets ? Are the tasty ?What do they taste like ? Can you buy them in a butcher's shop, or where ?

patscc

Terry: I don't know of any fermented fish products on pizza. Perhaps up north where they eat fermented herring on its own. However tuna on pizza is somewhat common (more so than e.g. salmon or cod) and I find tuna smells like puke, which is just as bad as if something was rotten.

Banana survives quite well in the oven and adds a sweet taste to some food. Some people experiment with apples and oranges too, but I'd watch out for fruits with lots of water content as it would evaporate, leaving a very dry cleft.

Ketchup was used due to I didn't have or liked to buy any proper tomato sauce.

Guinea pigs I dunno. A pizza place in a nearby city was closed down a few years ago after the health inspection made a visit. In their kitchen they had buckets of plucked pigeons (!), captured by the owner. He claimed they were not meant for human food, just a coincidence they lay in the kitchen but God knows. Much cheaper to shoot a few stray pigeons than buy chicken filets.

Pigeons (well pigeon breasts, there's not that much on the rest of the bird) are good food, although the ones you see wandering round town probably don't taste as good (you are what you eat!) The ones caught near the pizza shop probably taste of pizza!
The meat doesn't look like chicken, it's quite dark, more porky, but in pigeon shaped pieces.
Back to pizzas, it's a shame Mr Carlsson doesn't like tuna, the Mork & Mindy style Tuna and Banana was quite nice.

We don't have many Guinea pigs round here..think you could substitute rat?

--T

Hehe, no you could not. Though the rats here (they aren't not too common, but you see them) are a good size, they most certainly do not taste good. Though in one city here, they eat Cat, but that's a different story..

Patcc, I do mean Guinea pig. I wouldn't call them Cute or cuddly, but in Ecuador, they are a Traditional Dish. Usually not in Pizza, though. They taste very good, not the usual "Tastes like Chicken" thing, it's Sort of a cross between Rabbit and Pork (ironically).

You can buy them at the Market, in the Animal area, or in some shops, as well as Restaurants that serve Traditional Ecuadorian foods (it isn't hard to find one). Guinea pigs in Ecuador are the same as those found in NA, but are much larger, some get to the size of Rabbits! They're pretty cheap too, about $10-15 for a good size one. Very good, and quite unique!

Sounds like you folks have the same Black Rat - Rattus Rattus.

They make great pets from the pet shop - though I wouldn't suggest trying to catch a wild one as a pet! The pet ones are a little bit messy though (they love to leave their liquid scent on you!).

I'm old-school like Terrry.

A good crust made with stone-ground unbleached wheat, buffalo mozzarella cheese and Italian plum tomatoes, olive oil, sea salt and fresh basil and garlic and some grated parmesan cheese. Simple and great tasting.

But I've seen pizzas with a cream cheese base (topped with marion berries and whipped cream),or peanut butter or apple butter. I've had pizza with sliced beets and potoatoes on it.

Do you think that lutefisk would hold together as a pizza topping? How about surströmming or durian as a topping? :mrgreen:

But the original is still the best, in my humble opinion.

Ain't many water bufflao round here either, so I have to settle for cheese made from plain ol' cow's milk. Gotta admit, I don't mind a little Gorgonzola on my pizza too.

--T

Back