• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite pizza?/Most common pizza where you live

barythrin

Veteran Member
So, I was googling lutfisk, and for whatever reason wikipedia has a joke section attributed to it as well. I guess because many people have disliked the taste of it, then the idea of christmas leftovers making a pizza brought me to this memory. You find interesting results adding a different country domain suffix to pizzahut to also see some but what's you're personal favorite pizza and do you know the/a most common pizza for your region?

I know, I'm a wealth of useful posts lately lol

My favorite pizza? Peperoni and Jalapeno
Think that's probably the most common in Texas, though I read peperoni pizza is United States' most commonly ordered pizza.

Pizza

Pizza

Now here's a topic one can sink one's teath into.
I've no clue what the favourite pizza up here is( I suspect it's whater is cheapest or on special), but there seem to be more 'take 'n' bake places than any other place I've lived.

Personally, I gotta have either anchovies or tuna, jalapenos, mushrooms, no pineapple, other toppings more or less optional.

patscc

I usually have an Aussie pizza!! :-D Usually it's Bacon, Egg & Ham as the main 3 things - someplaces have Cheese and Tomato though.

For once though I'd like to see someone throw on huge Bacon rashes and plenty of egg! :-D Guess I'll just have to do it myself - the only way to get the job done. Good ol' Cholesterol wouldn't like it, though I guess I could get away with it just once?

Not sure what the most popular pizza is around here, while I might eat Aussie, the person sitting next to me may like a Hawaiian pizza, as a kid it used to be the Supreme pizza (one with the lot!), though we used to get half and half since our folks didn't like one with the lot - so it was usually Hawaiian and Supreme. A Chicken based Pizza is also nice!

Mmmm, pizza....

I personally like canadian bacon(ham) and pinneapple pizza. Love the combo.

IDK what the norm is up here. Probably pepperoni though. On an intresting note, I know a few people who like chicken alfredo pizza. It's chicken alfredo without the noodles and on a pizza crust. Does being on pizza crust make it a pizza?

Ahh, peppperoni and jalepeno. That is definately a favorite in Texas. I'm not much for it, though. I do like to dip my pizza in ranch, and coating it in parmesan cheese.

Getting hungry now, but too close to bed.

--Jack

I generally like pepperoni and mushrooms, has been my favorite since I was a teen.

But at the pizza shop I used to work at they made a specialty "sandwich" pizza which was a 12" crust white with garlic sauce, sliced potatoe, yellow banana pepper rings, sausage, cheeze, and another 12" crust on top. It took a while to cook since you have to flip it over, and it got cut up like a sandwich.

The newspapers a few weeks ago quoted a survey made by a pizza website. According to that survey, the #1 choice in Sweden is "build your own", i.e. you get to freely choose ingredients. The rest of the list goes:

#2 Kebab pizza (tomato, cheese, kebab meat and sauce)
#3 Capricciosa (tomato, cheese, ham, mushrooms)
#4 Vesuvio (tomato, cheese, ham)
#5 Hawaii (tomato, cheese, ham, pineapple)

My personal favorite may be Quattro Staggioni, which exists in many different variations. The most common around here contains tomato, cheese, ham, shrimps, mushrooms, black olives and an artichoke in the middle.

carlsson wrote:

The newspapers a few weeks ago quoted a survey made by a pizza website. According to that survey, the #1 choice in Sweden is "build your own", i.e. you get to freely choose ingredients. The rest of the list goes:

#2 Kebab pizza (tomato, cheese, kebab meat and sauce)
#3 Capricciosa (tomato, cheese, ham, mushrooms)
#4 Vesuvio (tomato, cheese, ham)
#5 Hawaii (tomato, cheese, ham, pineapple)

My personal favorite may be Quattro Staggioni, which exists in many different variations. The most common around here contains tomato, cheese, ham, shrimps, mushrooms, black olives and an artichoke in the middle.

Wha?!? How could they not love Bacon?!? :-D

Bacon is not so common on pizzas, although it exists. I don't know about the rest of the world, but we have an infinite number of combinations of pizza toppings, many more than any real Italian would approve. Most commonly bacon is seen together with banana and curry, called Tropic or something like that.

carlsson wrote:

Bacon is not so common on pizzas, although it exists. I don't know about the rest of the world, but we have an infinite number of combinations of pizza toppings, many more than any real Italian would approve. Most commonly bacon is seen together with banana and curry, called Tropic or something like that.

I mentioned ealier having it as part of an Aussie pizza with Egg & ham - some places have cheese and Tomato as well. I guess the only other thing it might work on is a Supreme - which throws in just about anything you can think of I suppose. I'm not exactly The Rest of the World though! :-D

If you leave out the tomato and cheese from a pizza, won't you simply get a big, warm sandwich with some filling? Perhaps I'm a bit too much conservative.

carlsson wrote:

If you leave out the tomato and cheese from a pizza, won't you simply get a big, warm sandwich with some filling? Perhaps I'm a bit too much conservative.

Hmm, yes I'm sure I would of had an Aussie Pizza without the tomato and cheese - though while I've had some nice Aussie Pizza's I cannot recall if they had Cheese or Tomato or not. Usually it's the Egg which holds everything together with those Pizzas.

I remember ordering a pizza in Athens Greece in the 80's and it came with ham, olives, and all kinds of other stuff that was not found on pizzas here in the US at the time. These days the toppings you can get have increased quite a bit and you see specialty stuff like pinapple and bacon, BBQ chicken, crab and other topings. I think europe had a hand in screwing up pizzas for everyone! ;)

That was my surprise when I read some European pizzas before. I guess some folks (Russia?) use mayonaise on pizza instead of tomato sauce which really threw me. We also don't have a lot of fish or shrimp on pizza here, although atleast in Texas fish tacos are a big thing (I don't eatem but I hear they're good).

The closest we have in the US to the mayo pizzas is probably as Jack described an alfredo sauce pizza which is usually the crust, white (is there any other?) alfredo sauce, sliced chicken breast, and cheese.

All of our pizzas though usually have tomato sauce and cheese on top otherwise it'd be some healthy diet pizza specialty. But it's not a standard order, although I suppose if they have the ingredients they'd probably make whatever you like.

I usually ask for extra sauce...and just about any topping is ok. My favourites would be any kind of cheese (especially feta or cheddar though), sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms...and I like anchovies sometimes too :) Sometimes Ham/pineapple hits the spot too.

Alternate pizzas like mentioned above are getting common here, like chicken teryaki (teriyaki sauce instead of tomato) or barbecue chicken, cheeseburger pizza, taco pizza...

Britain's current number 1 pizza is the "Pepperoni Passion" (Or variations on that name dependent upon who's cooking it) topping is just tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and loads of pepperoni.

My personal "high street" favourite is "Vegetarian without the pineapple but with extra pepperoni" It does raise eyebrows when I order it, but the usual "vegetarian" vegetable selection is good.

If I go to a proper pizza restaurant, I usually choose something a bit more interesting, last one I had was (mozzarella cheese, tomato) dry cured ham, gorgonzola (very blue!) cheese & watercress, on a lovely thin crispy base. That was really nice, but smelt like a french fridge.

The Australian "bacon & egg" ones, are completely unheard of here.

Mebbe I'm a bit of a purist (pizza snob?), but as far as I'm concerned, there are three basic ingredients that make a pizza a pizza: crust, pizza sauce (tomato), and cheese (preferably mozzarella). Anything that doesn't include those just ain't a pizza, so they shouldn't be included as 'toppings', as if they were optional, although someone with allergies, lactose intolerance, etc, might want to substitute something else, or just forgo the enjoying the whole pizza experience entirely. Also, as a minimum, the toppings should include pepperoni, but plain cheese pizza ain't out of the question.
Usually, when I'm in a restaurant that serves pizza, I'll order the house specialty (they usually have one), unless it's sum'n really weird.
Of course, this thread also raises the question (religious issue) of what kind of crust does everyone prefer, thick or thin? Myself, I can't go thru Chicago without stopping somewhere for a real Chicago deep-dish 'pizza', which I don't believe is really pizza per se, but great eating anyways, and unmatched anywhere else.

--T

I hate thick crusts (those ones where they try to throw cheese in the middle)- only because they did this for people who eat their pizza's the wrong way! :-D

People - you need to eat the crust first! That way you get the topping to the side of it as well as the crust! :-D

I prefer a normal crust, thin crust is too crunchy and thick means I eat mostly bread and not the toppings and sauce.

Mozzarella is great for pizza, but mix in some provalone and it tastest better.

Good pizza to me is something you can eat cold and not gag on it, kind of like how McDonalds fries are good for only about 2 minutes after they get out of the deep frier.

I prefer a normal crust, thin crust is too crunchy and thick means I eat mostly bread and not the toppings and sauce.

Mozzarella is great for pizza, but mix in some provalone and it tastest better.

Good pizza to me is something you can eat cold and not gag on it, kind of like how McDonalds fries are good for only about 2 minutes after they get out of the deep frier.

What is 'normal'? Depends where you are. East coast pizza is invariably the thin crunchy kind, while here in the rust belt, thicker is the norm. Personally, I'm with you, somewhere in the medium range is my preference. Actually, I know some New Yorkers who'll swear that if it ain't baked inna coal-fired brick oven, it ain't authentic. Some of my friends around here also swear that they can tell whether it's baked in a gas oven vs. electric, natural brick being very rare outside the city. I can't tell, and don't much care either way, but then some people really are pizza snobs. I prefer variety. Course, ya can't beat real homemade Italian pizza, lovingly created by Mama Partizano (ghawd rest her beautiful soul), or Mama Whoeveryouknow, who btw, taught me not only pizza, but most of the Italian cooking I know (it's all in the sauce).

--T

Last edited:
Back