• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FedEx destroys my Apple //e :-(

Arcady

Experienced Member
I wanted to add another machine to my collection, and I found this pretty nice looking Apple //e for sale. The guy shipped it to me in a box that got smashed by FedEx.

iie_crack_1.jpg iie_crack_2.jpg

I was my first platinum //e. It has a new looking keyboard. And everything works, now that I put in a new power supply. But the case is smashed to bits. FedEx wants to take it away and pay me to "have it repaired." They can't seem to understand that the Apple store is not going to repair this. Arrgh!

Uh-oh. I'm sad to see that.. Machines I bought were never damaged like that before..

Not enough padding? That damage looks bad, surprised it still works.

He packed it with the computer at the bottom, then filled with peanuts above the computer, then put the monitor on top and filled the rest with peanuts. The peanuts between the monitor and computer were all compressed, so I think the weight of the monitor and whatever force crushed the top of the box combined to smash the poor little hollow Apple II at the bottom. I was surprised he placed them in the box that way, but also surprised FedEx could crush it hard enough to break it that badly. I can't even glue it.

I'll just be on the lookout for a dead one of these that I can use the case from.

FedEx wants to take it away and pay me to "have it repaired." They can't seem to understand that the Apple store is not going to repair this. Arrgh!
If that's what they said they would do, I dare you to do it if it goes at no expense to you. Some poor sod's going to have to figure out how to find a replacement case.

That damage looks bad, surprised it still works.
You ever looked inside a IIe? That's just dinged plastic. It wouldn't damage the internals at all.

I hate it when sellers use packing peanuts for padding. Packing peanuts are not padding they are filler! Items need to be padded with bubble wrap or foam. If there is extra space in the box then fill with peanuts or packing paper.

It's possible the seller didn't back this by some store did. Here we have a couple places locally that'll pack and ship your stuff via UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc.

I had something similar happen to me with a Tandy 1000 and Monitor, they were smashed to bits, I got my money back, but still a good Computer destroyed, and this was by Courier...........

Back