• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally, after a bunch of years of waiting and searching I got one!

Also forgot to mention the bottom most card (floppy controller card)has an ic has two legs out of socket and the pins are mashed together.. Why?

See the photos
That's probably the masked ROM. Completely normal. On newer versions of the FDC, Cromemco increased the ROM capacity so they had to add address lines. The smaller ROM is 4k(?) so the added address is grounded (not needed) when the ROM is selected.

Couldn't see photos of the FDC card, so I don't know which one you have (4FDC, 16FDC, or 32FDC?). Which RDOS version do you have? I think 2.52 is probably the best one for a floppy based system. I have two Cromemco CS1 systems -- one rigged up to run CP/M and CDOS, the other can run 68k CROMIX or even Z80 CROMIX.

Roger

That's probably the masked ROM. Completely normal. On newer versions of the FDC, Cromemco increased the ROM capacity so they had to add address lines. The smaller ROM is 4k(?) so the added address is grounded (not needed) when the ROM is selected.

Couldn't see photos of the FDC card, so I don't know which one you have (4FDC, 16FDC, or 32FDC?). Which RDOS version do you have? I think 2.52 is probably the best one for a floppy based system. I have two Cromemco CS1 systems -- one rigged up to run CP/M and CDOS, the other can run 68k CROMIX or even Z80 CROMIX.

Roger
There are links to photos on the first posting #1 Its not the clearest but it shows the card and from 2 angles (the bent pins in question)

There are links to photos on the first posting #1 Its not the clearest but it shows the card and from 2 angles (the bent pins in question)
Ahhh ... yes. I missed the link.

Yes, that's normal for the RDOS (2.52) masked ROM on a 16FDC. Looks like you are all set for running a floppy system. Please be aware that if you need more floppy space (and more modern drives) you can use a 5.25" HD floppy with the 16FDC quite easily. Just jumper READY permanently to ground (I do it on the 50-pin connector) and use a 34-pin cable. Works great!

Roger

@norwestrzh Roger actually thats a really good idea. Unless I decide to purchase a hard drive or alternate storage method; replace one of the 5.25" drives with a high density drive might just work. Then the machine will have 3 different size floppy drives!

@norwestrzh Roger actually thats a really good idea. Unless I decide to purchase a hard drive or alternate storage method; replace one of the 5.25" drives with a high density drive might just work. Then the machine will have 3 different size floppy drives!
OR .... replace both 5.25" (I assume) 360K floppies with four 5.25" HD floppies. That's how I run. You will need the 8" to transfer software to the new HD drives!! I think that you'll find that the OEM floppies aren't very useful. A 360K drive fills up fast.

>> So when I first met the young man who was selling it I was happy the unit had the key.. The key turned from off to on to reset.
>> After I got it home and cleaned it the key stopped turning. I moved the slide on the rear where the power is to clean did I
>> change something to lock the key out?

No. I doubt that you did something to disable the key. I found that those Cromemco keyed switches are a P.O.C. I tore both out on my CS-1's and replaced them with a toggle switch for power and a push button for reset. Much more reliable, but not authentic Cromemco.

Another thing you will probably consider (in time) is replacing the fans in the unit. They are *really* loud! Just go on the Jameco Web site and look for the lowest db rating of equivalent form factor fans. Both my units arun much quieter now. Oh, and BTW ... there are 3(!) fans. Two for ventilating the card cage, and one for the P.S.

There is some Cromemco stuff on my Web site (www.hanscom.us). Just poke around. You will find it.

Roger

Welcome to the Cromemco community! There's lots of documentation and system software available, as well as technical expertise, so you should have lots of fun.

The CS-1 is one of the smaller Cromemco boxes; a little cramped and awkward to work on and as Roger mentioned quite noisy, but a nice little package; I've got four of them ;-)

The 512MSU is nice; it should let you run early versions of Cromix plus, possibly with room left over for a RAM disk which would be useful with a floppy-only system; you probably won't be able to run the Z80 version of Cromix with it but that's probably not an issue for you.

Have FUN! Looking forward to your first successful boot!

mike

Owning an S-100 system has been on my list for so many years but it just never happened. The price of Imsai and Altair systems has shot way up I kind of almost gave up looking for a system.

But as things happen one showed up and I just couldn't pass it up.

As of this morning I am the new owner of a Cromemco System One Model CS-1 Ser: 51300

Lots of Photos here: Sorry for the blurry photos. It took hours to clean everything so it was dark when I took the photos : https://photos.app.goo.gl/xXfKznfZAzNQ7H4m9
View attachment 1247054

Its a dual 5.25" floppy unit. And came with the key! Also included are two ADDS Viewpoint VPT-A1 Terminals with keyboards. One unit is missing the "F3" key

There is an Okidata Microline 84 large scale dot matrix printer (what is that connector on the back of the printer for?!)

The absolute best surprise was when I got there and saw the unit for the first time there was something else not discussed or shown in photos. A QUME Dual 8" Floppy drive rackmount unit! It contains two QUMETRAK 842 floppy drives with a power supply.

The downside is the doors to the drives were left open and mice got in. I had a hint when I saw the rear AC fan was full of debris. I took it apart in my garage and sure enough.. A HUGE mouse/rodent nest with its own mummified rodent to boot. I shop vac'd all the grossness out and gave a quick clean of the case just so I can bring it and leave it in my garage (This will not go into my house Until I can rebuild and sanitize it)

After a visual inspection there are about 4 chewed wires so thats not terrible. What is bad is the corrosion brought on by the rodent urine. I am sure I can fix the drives and restore the unit but who knows if the PSU will make it. Considering its a bonus, I am not dissapointed. There are no marking on the external 8" drive cabinet except for a hand written label which I assume is the serial number "QUME 141175"

The drive cabinet must have connected to the rear of the Computer via the large ribbon cable with the card edge connector. What is strange is the cabinet has 2 card edge connectors which each go to one drive. Inside the unit one drive had the power cables disconnected so I am assuming it was only using one drive. Why not add another cable?

So when I first met the young man who was selling it I was happy the unit had the key.. The key turned from off to on to reset. After I got it home and cleaned it the key stopped turning. I moved the slide on the rear where the power is to clean did I change something to lock the key out?

I will admit I know nothing about S-100 computers other than what I have read. If any of you know this system please share some details Id love to know more and learn about this thing.

I read online the CS-1 was the base model with two floppy drives and a Z80 CPU but I was very happy to see the CPU card has a Motorola 68000 cpu also!! I can run Cromix!

Well I spent all afternoon cleaning the thing and I am tired. No I did not try and fire it up. The seller said they never tried to power it up either and I am included to believe them.

Would love to hear what you all think.
Congratulations on scoring such a killer system/collection! So fantastic that you were able to aquire all of those pieces in one purchase. In some ways I think I would rather have a system like that rather than an Altair or an Imsai. Sometimes when you have something everyone knows and wants it makes it feel like a less special, less personal acquisition, kind of hard to put into words. Of course an Altair or an Imsai have played such important roles in the history of the pc that I guess they should really be in their own special category and not to be compared to similar systems that came along shortly after them. Anyway, hope it brings you many years of happiness!

Congratulations on scoring such a killer system/collection! So fantastic that you were able to aquire all of those pieces in one purchase. In some ways I think I would rather have a system like that rather than an Altair or an Imsai. Sometimes when you have something everyone knows and wants it makes it feel like a less special, less personal acquisition, kind of hard to put into words. Of course an Altair or an Imsai have played such important roles in the history of the pc that I guess they should really be in their own special category and not to be compared to similar systems that came along shortly after them. Anyway, hope it brings you many years of happiness!
Thank you. And I know what you mean.. This less common machine is special just because its not an Altair or an Imsai.

Back