• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Firewall got me AGAIN!!!

chuckcmagee

Veteran Member
Ok, try to remember this one! I sure can't. If you have windows file/printer sharing going and it is working perfect. Then, you change a router or anything along those lines and the sharing does NOT work anymore, IT IS THE BLEEDING FIREWALL! I just wasted about 8 hours trying to figure out why the new Linksys wireless access point wasn't working. It was working fine for the last 7 hours and 58 minutes. When I hooked up the Linksys, the firewall "saw" the new network range and turned off the trusted status on existing networks. I did the Linksys chat support, etc. then it hit me, the firewall again. Same thing happened months ago. Anyway, the firewall was mainly for checking outbound traffic. It's uninstalled now.

If I hadn't pulled similar stunts in the past it wouldn't have been so funny. Be that as it may...

super_smilies007.gif

Ok, try to remember this one! I sure can't. If you have windows file/printer sharing going and it is working perfect. Then, you change a router or anything along those lines and the sharing does NOT work anymore, IT IS THE BLEEDING FIREWALL! I just wasted about 8 hours trying to figure out why the new Linksys wireless access point wasn't working. It was working fine for the last 7 hours and 58 minutes. When I hooked up the Linksys, the firewall "saw" the new network range and turned off the trusted status on existing networks. I did the Linksys chat support, etc. then it hit me, the firewall again. Same thing happened months ago. Anyway, the firewall was mainly for checking outbound traffic. It's uninstalled now.

The Windows firewall has been off for 2 years. This was "McAfee Personal Firewall" that came with my virus killer subscription. If I had put back the original D-Link access point, I would have noticed that sharing was still not working but I didn't get that lucky.

And, YES, the "support" guy in India was no help at all. I have read recent articles where the young folks in India have figured out how not to take those support jobs anymore! Those jobs were a horror show in the U.S. and even worse now as the U.S. folks make fun of the Indians in addition to being in a foul mood too.

Back