• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fix Atari 400 Case

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Anyone know how to fix (well, not entirely fix, but make look nicer) a broken part of an Atari 400 case..

Basically, on the front of the case, at the bottom, just below the keyboard it appears that part of the membrane keyboard is broken off, so the tab underneath it is visible (the tan case piece) and can be lifted up and down (not a lot but enough). Plus it looks bad to me. Nothing has broken off but its driving me crazy that its broken...curious if anyone ever had any luck with a fix for this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here are pictures to help what I am seeing...do I just need a new membrane keyboard?

Here is the Machine (you can see the break on the bottom middle):

Atari 400.jpg

Here is a closer look at the damage:

Broken Part 1.jpg

When you pull on the bottom, the part is able to be pulled back slightly and you can see the actual damage is a little bigger, but hidden by the tan frame part

Broken Part 2.jpg

So what is best option to fix? Get a new membrane?

It's not broken. The beige plastic tab is supposed to go under the keyboard so that the notch in the keyboard does not show, but that notch is supposed to be there. Try twisting the front bezel down so the tab goes under then push it back. If it doesn't stay then the bezel has deformed a bit. Maybe unscrew the top cover and tape the tab to the underside of the keyboard.

I see there is a bit of the brown surface layer missing from just above the notch. You might try a dab of dark brown paint there. I don't think it's worth replacing the keyboard, as long as it works.

Enjoy your cool 400!

My Geeksite

Back