• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Floppy Drive (8" & 5.25") Repair Service

MicrocomputerSolutions

Veteran Member
I've been servicing and selling 8" and 5.25" floppy and minifloppy drives since the late 1970s. At one point I was buying used 8" floppy drives by the pallet load, fixing those that could be saved, and scrapping the rest 9after removing the valuable parts).

I specialize in Shugart and Mitsubishi full height and 1/2 height 8" drives, but have extensive experience working on other manufacturer's drives (like Qume, Tandon, Shugart, Mitsubishi, Siemens, CDC, Wang and other 8" and 5.25" floppy drives).

6-month warranty on service performed.

Typical prices for repairs:

Shugart (SA-800/801) and Mitsubishi 8" single-sided drives, alignment and minor repair with minor parts (if available including sensors, screws brackets, and wiring. Head load pads not included) included: $100 (not including logic board repair if necessary ($100 additional), or major parts (head, motors, logic board).

Shugart (SA-850/851, SA-860) and Mitsubishi (2896-63) 8" double-sided drives, alignment and minor repair with minor parts (if available including sensors, screws, brackets, and wiring) included: $150 (not including logic board repair if necessary ($100 additional), or major parts (heads, motors, logic board).

Cost of repair of 5.25 floppy drives is lower, call to discuss the details.

Cost of return shipping is additional.

Drives aligned with Genuine Dysan Alignment Disks and tested on a computer for functioning after service is completed.

Prices for other drives are similar, but parts supply is more limited.

Some new and used 8" and 5.25" floppy drives are available for sale.

Phone Michael for details 909-820-9850.

Super !

Much needed for vintage computers & deviceside use.

Have couple of dozen Tandons some working & others not + parts from my Kaypro era. Could use a good home in downsizing & cleanout in retirement.

Any interest ?

Frank

Shugart 851

Shugart 851

I have a Shugart 851 that I'm using for media migration, now one of the heads is failing (it has never worked perfect, but it could read some).
Now when I try to read side 1, it just reads noise and no readable data.
Is it something that can be fixed or should I try to get a replacement?
As I work and live in Sweden these kind of equipment is not so easy to come by and no one whar I know of can repaire them.

Back