• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Floppy Drive Re-Capping / Repair

ButINeededThatName

Experienced Member
I'm hoping to find someone who can repair a few of the dreaded PS/2 card-edge style drives that have succumbed to the great capacitor plague. I tried re-capping four drives of the Mitsubishi variety and ended up with four drives that don't read disks any better (but also don't behave any worse) than they did before.

I didn't pull off any solder pads in the process nor did I do anything else that would have ruined them as repair candidates. I imagine my technique just isn't as good as it needs to be to repair one of these drives.

If someone more experienced in soldering SMD components (and also maybe at repairing floppy drives in general) would be willing to take a look at and attempt to repair these for me, I'd be happy to send them your way and would be very appreciative.

It sounds like you succeeded in the recap, but the problem was something else all along fwiw

Well, the caps all had spilled their guts, so it was at least part of the problem. I've since lubricated all the drives and out of four one now works, one will seek and spin properly, but through out a "Non System Disk or Disk Error" message, and two will just buzz twice during startup instead of going through the whole seek / test sequence.

I'm wondering if I have alignment problems as well?

Possibly but I would look to other logic board failures first. I've only worked with 2 of these drives myself and one of them was not properly driving the index signal onto the bus (but it was receiving it correctly from the motor PCB)

The other drive had the classic speed regulation failure of the motor PCB

Back