• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Floppy-related price advice

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I don't know how popular floppies or parallel ports are anymore, but I ran across a carton of brand-new Teac FD505 "combo" drives and also about 10 brand-new Micro Solutions Backpack drives.

Any ideas of what a fair price for these would be?

Interesting--a refurb 505 from Computer Parts Galore (lowest) goes for $74.80; from SupplySale (Rakuten) for $241.80. At $20, they're not even worth the trouble to flog and ship. I'll put the box back on the shelf.

Anyone want a new backpack (sans box, but otherwise complete with warranty card and CD), $25+shipping.

I figured $20 plus shipping and you would sell them all. Some may go higher but there are not 100 people waiting for these every day.

You can't get a single 5 1/4" drive for $20 anymore. I'd put one on ebay for $75 just to see what happened.

Sounds like a fair price / Starting bid ? for a brand new Teac FD505 combo, Here in the UK a used tested and working single 5 1/4" drive can sell for £25 ( $40 "ish" ) or more, Not sure on the Backpacks i don't think the Backpack floppy drives are very popular over here, Though i bought 2 brand new and sealed in boxes a while back and i think i paid about £15 each. The FD505 combo's used to be very popular with the BBC micro crowd and the likes.

When I tried to source a replacement combo drive, the prices were close to $100. Unfortunate as I have some systems that would benefit from having one since it would free up multiple 3.5" drive bays that are blocked by the cable running between floppy drives.

When I tried to source a replacement combo drive, the prices were close to $100. Unfortunate as I have some systems that would benefit from having one since it would free up multiple 3.5" drive bays that are blocked by the cable running between floppy drives.
I've got some NOS 36" cables if you are interested.

I've got some NOS 36" cables if you are interested.

Those won't work. The case designers put several 3.5" bays between the bottom most external 5.25" bay and the external 3.5" bay. Stretching a floppy cable between them makes it impossible to also run a 50 pin SCSI cable to the other 3.5" bays. Well, without forcibly bending the cables in ways that might hamper usage.

Those won't work. The case designers put several 3.5" bays between the bottom most external 5.25" bay and the external 3.5" bay. Stretching a floppy cable between them makes it impossible to also run a 50 pin SCSI cable to the other 3.5" bays. Well, without forcibly bending the cables in ways that might hamper usage.
This floppy cable has 16" between the 5.25" connector at the end and the 3.5" connector in the middle. And then there's 20" from there to the IDC socket.

Finding an Unopened Maxtor Hard Drive...

Finding an Unopened Maxtor Hard Drive...

I've been reading this thread and thinking about how one finds equipment you had, still in shrink wrap, without knowing about it... and it just happened to me. :S

I looked over my vintage storage during lunch (making sure it was winterized) and saw the same three Maxtor hard drive boxes, which I've seen for years, on the top shelf. I thought that they were empty or damaged drives cycled from the Windows WFW /95 era. Instead of moving on as I always did before, I posed the question as to whether all were the same size drives and pulled them down to see.

To my surprise one was still unopened.

So now I have a gift for my restoration projects.

A Maxtor 8.4GB DiamondMax 3.5" EIDE hard drive. I probably bought a few back in the day when replacing one crashed drive. Always nice to have a good spare handy.

I think I bought them at CompUSA in the late 90s. The price tag on it from whenever says I paid $219.95 for it. So... I might restore my best Windows 95 desktop (Gateway 2000 Pentium) with it. That Gateway's hard drive was fading away from disuse when I took it out of commission.

Cool... I think I'll send myself a thank-you note to the past.

Chuck(G) said:
...I still have a lot of parallel Laplink cables, new, sealed in bags, if anyone wants them...
How much speed acceleration did Laplink paralllel cables make? I always used the serial connection.

Back