• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

fomatting

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
question- can I format disks right out of Basic? Or do I NEED a DOS disk and 2 drives to do this? It would be nice if I could format disks right out of my built-in model 3 basic on my model 4.

Yes, you need an DOS loaded into the system OR...There are PC emulators that you can use to format a diskette on an IBM PC that you can then use on a TRS 80 Model III or 4. This is useful if you're trying to determine whether the TRS's disk drive works or not. There are a lot of experts on this board, it won't take long for you to get more options, but I am pretty sure none will have a way to do this using BASIC..

As far as I know, if you've booted into basic, the code to control the floppies is never executed. You need a boot disk. There are many ways to create them. The best way is via the emulator as Bill says. However, if you need one and don't want to bother with the emulator, you can have someone email you a teledisk or imagedisk image of a boot floppy. You can then write the image to disk directly from dos.

If someone wants to email me that teledisk or imagedisk file, Pm me. Im not sure If I will know how to do it, though. I would have to install a 5-1/4" disk drive into my computer, or an older PC, I guess.

Computer Collector said:
Yeah, Iras site used to have a nice large list of software, but now its gone
Yes, the list is gone. You now have to use a very unfriendly search system. The search term must be at least two characters, and if it returns more than some arbitrary number (I think 20) then you have to "narrow" your search.

Back