• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

::::FOR SALE:::: Athlon XP computer with Windows XP

Just found this by the dumpser today, a lucky find! Here is an early 2000's system composed of:

Athlon XP 1700+ Processor

512MB DDR Memory

20GB IDE Hard Drive

Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 AGP video card

Onboard AC97 Audio

PCI Ethernet & Dial-Up cards

MSI K7T Turbo2 Socket 462 ATX motherboard

USB 2.0 bracket

Plextor CD-RW drive

3.5 Floppy drive

Windows XP Home Edition OS with genuine case badge

Beige Inwin Mid-Tower PC case

Please make an offer. No part-outs preferred.

bc1.jpg
bc2.jpg
bc3.jpg
bc4.jpg
bc5.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of those motherboards.

Something interesting to note about it is that the bottom of the motherboard has an empty space for an ISA slot. All of the supporting logic is installed on the motherboard and you just have to solder in an ISA card edge connector to have an Athlon system with a working ISA slot.

I'm not sure if older 8 bit only cards will work, but I tested a 16 bit ISA VGA card, sound card and IDE controller, which all worked.

OP, one thing you need to check is the state of the power supply, which could be the reason why it was thrown out. Your pictures are so small that I can't see the brand, but garbage IED power supplies were prolific in that time which destroyed many a machine back in the day. I wouldn't be surprised if the PSU has blown caps or scorch marks from other exploded bits.

The PC works and powers on fine. They probably threw it out because it is old tech. I don't know how to upload larger pics for this site.

You can host the image elsewhere like imgur, flickr, etc. and use tags.

[QUOTE="computergeek92, post: 401069, member: 1150"]This IED talk sounds crazy to me, no offense. Of coarse they don't make fake power supplies for PCs or put bombs in them. But there are low quality PSUs that have low lifespan, are inefficient, or take your mobo when they fail.

[url]http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2335096[/url][/QUOTE]

Haha, al qaeda taliban special.

They do indeed explode though. I got hold of a Deer unit from some old PC and tried powering it on, every capacitor inside it exploded in a wave and all of the primary switching mosfets followed suite, sending bits of metal shrapnel out the fan grill along with smoke and fire. Less spectacular explosions were had from various Coolmax and Bestec units (the latter being in many Dell, HP and Compaq machines in the mid 2000s.)

I got hold of a Deer unit from some old PC and tried powering it on, every capacitor inside it exploded in a wave and all of the primary switching mosfets followed suite, sending bits of metal shrapnel out the fan grill along with smoke and fire...

I'm curious, has anyone ever been injured by powering on a suspect supply?

Nice find! Looking up that motherboard, it seems to use the same chipset as the Abit KT7A (which has a populated ISA slot) except according to the specs the MSI K7T has built in support for CPUs up to an XP 2600+ (KT7A v1.3 only goes up to 2100 officially but I have a mobile XP 3000 in mine.). And that looks like a nice beige generic ATX case. Solder in a connector for ISA and you have got something pretty sweet.

computergeek92, where about are you located?

BTW, the trick to uploading "larger" images directly on this forum is to use JPG and make sure the file size is 99k or less. Anything larger and it will recompress it to fit in 99k. With JPG it will keep the same XxY resolution, but with PNG it will shrink the visible image down to nothing, like yours.

Back