• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

For sale over 250 Apple II Games - Computers - Extra's

yeah its not what this forum is for..... if you dont ever join or add to a discussion and just peddle wares.... I think its not right.

I can't be the only person who instantly loses interest when somebody posts a link to an ebay auction?

... or 270 of them. :)

I actually looked at it briefly but once I saw it was 99% software, that's where I lost interest. As well, I don't know about software, but the non software stuff seemed on the high side. I used to eBay any software I acquired (through hardware purchases) but it rarely goes for anything worth the hassle of shipping. I don't even bother trying to sell it anymore, it just goes in storage boxes :)

I don't mind links to massive auctions for vintage hard to find things (Apple II software with box/manual isn't that common these days). I won't be buying anything but its nice to look.

Sometimes I wonder about people who spend quite a bit of money on hardware yet never buy any legit software that just seems wrong.

I don't mind links to massive auctions for vintage hard to find things (Apple II software with box/manual isn't that common these days). I won't be buying anything but its nice to look.

Sometimes I wonder about people who spend quite a bit of money on hardware yet never buy any legit software that just seems wrong.

I never buy the retro software, it doesn't work and the author isn't getting paid for it. If you're taking about current software then I absolutely agree, I just don't agree in paying excessive prices for non supported, non working disks where the only person getting paid is some eBay reseller who found the software for 50 cents at a garage sale.

As an aside, even with current software, I only buy it new from the company producing it, I never buy used software, for that same reason.

??? What am I missing here? I have stacks of retro software that works as does nearly everyone here.

Why do you say that? The author got paid when the original purchaser bought it.

Yes, they did get paid, they're not getting paid again for the same copy. And they're not getting paid any of that $399 for their copy of, say, Ultima. Look, I'd rather download Ultima and mail a check to Richard Garriot himself for the full price (if I didn't already buy them back in the day anyway). Even if you're wanting to convince people that you should rebuy physical software, it's not going to be for more than the original price.

I have boxes of original Atari ST, Amiga and Commodore 64 software and 90% of the disks are bad, but I'm glad to hear that yours work now or forever... Maybe I have a bad production run :)

Last edited:
And why should they?

If you sell your 10 year old Chevy does GM get a cut?

How about a used computer or anything else you might have bought and want to unload?

So if my options are this Chevy truck with it's manual for $100k that originally sold for $20k brand new or this Chevy truck that's been abandoned, has no manual, and no one cares if you take it or not, then I probably would opt for the free one, yes.

The computer example is fair, but I'm buying the physical device not what it can do. If it was just what it could do, I'd use an emulator. If I cared about the physical media of a game (disk and books) then I'll buy the software, but if it's just for what it can do, then I'll download the software (similar to the emulator)

90%? Do you have any building-sized motors in your house?

I have a lot of old software. Maybe five or six bad disks in the lot, and those are all in a box that I stored haphazardly for thirty-five years. None of the ones I kept on their original boxes, or purchased that way in recent years are bad.

I think most people have forgotten how well old software works. Sure there were some stinkers, but you can't tell me there aren't today.

90%? Do you have any building-sized motors in your house?

I think most people have forgotten how well old software works. Sure there were some stinkers, but you can't tell me there aren't today.

I live in a part of California where it gets into the 100s during the summer. It's not just my software but software acquired through hardware purchases that's bad. But in the case of my old software, yes, it was kept in a metal shed for over 15 years and various places before and after that, and it's not just disks but all magnetic media I had that went bad (including backup tapes and some home videos.

In any case, while this is a good discussion, we probably shouldn't have taken over the OPs sale thread so I'll be moving on. :)

I have boxes of original Atari ST, Amiga and Commodore 64 software and 90% of the disks are bad, but I'm glad to hear that yours work now or forever... Maybe I have a bad production run :)

I live in a part of California where it gets into the 100s during the summer. It's not just my software but software acquired through hardware purchases that's bad. But in the case of my old software, yes, it was kept in a metal shed for over 15 years and various places before and after that, and it's not just disks but all magnetic media I had that went bad (including backup tapes and some home videos.
Sounds like your storage environment is not ideal.

FWIW, the computer's internal temperature is nearly always in the 100s so that isn't what causes media failures by itself.

To be honest with you, you don't have to buy 38 year old software if you don't want to. But in truth complete packages of original releases are getting rare.... yes I used the word rare. In this case its true. For instance. On ebay the last two original releases of 1981's ULTIMA sold for $1750 and $1999.

I have a complete original version which I plan on selling soon, why wouldn't I if I can bring in that price? Those were sold "untested" Im pretty sure my copy still works so I'd like to sell it as "tested/working" If you think that's wrong of me well I'm sorry but if something is held onto long enough and it appreciates in the eyes of collectors why not make a profit?

m pretty sure my copy still works so I'd like to sell it as "tested/working" If you think that's wrong of me well I'm sorry but if something is held onto long enough and it appreciates in the eyes of collectors why not make a profit?

Really didn't want to continue this here in this poor guys sale thread, but I completely agree with you and I didn't mean to imply that you can't or shouldn't sell your rare software for the current market rate. My comment was that -I- wasn't interested in paying those rates for the physical media and box and the only thing I'm interested in is the software itself and there are better working versions of that software free. Selling that software as a rare item that someone can buy for it's nostalgic value is perfectly acceptable, implying that they should buy the software at huge rare inflated prices because it's somehow morally better than downloading the "abandoned" software was the issue I have. There's nothing morally better about buying old software from an eBay flipper.

For me, I buy computers to use them, I physically fix them and make them work as they originally did. I don't buy computers just as artwork and that was the original point of my comment, that physical software is artwork and, personally, that isn't of value to me. I mean, I do miss my old Ultima cloth maps, I just don't miss them that much. :)

Completely aside from everything, I actually have a disdain for physical media which is completely an opposite view of most people here. If I could exchange (for free) all my physical media for digital (local) copies, I would. But, that's just me.

yeah its not what this forum is for..... if you dont ever join or add to a discussion and just peddle wares.... I think its not right.

I am okay with people joining to post auctions on the following conditions:

- They actually post in the auction section
- They respond to queries either via PM or in the thread (ideally both) in a timely manner
- They don't frequently spam the site with auction links

Sadly auction links often end up in the wrong forum areas and the sellers go silent after posting. Now that is annoying.

Back