• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

For the Swedes. ABC80 and IBM MC80

How much are they trying to get for them or is it an auction type of site? Cool system although yeah it's a deskside server which would be heavy if anyone isn't in driving distance.

The site is supposed to be about classifieds with a given price, but competition has made it more and more into an informal auction site. That means, you privately place bids at the seller who decides when he has received a bid good enough.

ABC-80 are quite a plenty so it can't be worth much. The IBM is a proud piece but probably too bulky for most casual collectors to consider. I'm afraid the seller will think he's onto a gold mine and not accept trivial bids. In any case it isn't within my field of interest.

How much are they trying to get for them or is it an auction type of site? Cool system although yeah it's a deskside server which would be heavy if anyone isn't in driving distance.

It's not even a server, it's a glorified typewriter/terminal I think :)

The site "blocket.se" is not an auction site, you sell for a fixed price or (as in this case) the seller asks for a reasonable offer.

ABC-80 are quite a plenty so it can't be worth much.
This ABC-80 is a bit rarer then the Luxor ABC 80 as it's a Metric ABC 80. But not too uncommon anyway.

The IBM is a proud piece but probably too bulky for most casual collectors to consider.
If I had the space, I wouldn't hesitate to go for it... But alas, space is a big problem right now...

Oh, I thought the Scandia Metric one was called Metric 65, but perhaps it is only me spreading that misunderstanding. :-D Hmm.. I think I read that in the expo magazine at "Persondatorns Födelse" in 1993. However all Google results point to me, so it must be my mistake.

It's not even a server, it's a glorified typewriter/terminal I think :)
--------------
AFAIK it's actually a word processor using magnetic cards; they are about the size of an 80 column punched card but made of the same material as floppy disks. Sort of like a linear floppy: a track selector moves the head across the card and it's read by zipping it in and out of the drive. I've still got a couple of the drives (and one card); always wanted to cobble up an interface just for fun one day...

Hmm, vaguely remember a Monroe (I think it was) calculator that used cards with a mag strip on it to store programs and variable values. Per usual, finding a source for the mag strip cards was tough, even back in 1970. The IBM deal has a much larger surface area, hopefully it could store a lot more. The Monroe was something like 240 program steps or something like that. Of course, variable values used up program steps too. Got really crowded fast.

Is there a place where I can learn more in detail about the different versions of the ABC80 computer. I already have two of them, quite different in appearance. One of them looks like the one in the ad, but is manufactured by Luxor. The other one is quite differently marked with a small ABC80 logo just above keys "1" and "2".

I have very find memories of the ABC80's from my school days. We had two units in the "computer room" and people were running "Masken" and "Månlanda" until we (the nerds) could get our hands on them, assembling 68000 code for our newest computer =)

/Pacman

Is there a place where I can learn more in detail about the different versions of the ABC80 computer. I already have two of them, quite different in appearance. One of them looks like the one in the ad, but is manufactured by Luxor. The other one is quite differently marked with a small ABC80 logo just above keys "1" and "2".

I have very find memories of the ABC80's from my school days. We had two units in the "computer room" and people were running "Masken" and "Månlanda" until we (the nerds) could get our hands on them, assembling 68000 code for our newest computer =)

/Pacman

The following list is not quite what you are after, but quite nice anyway :) Though it does not list the "diab" unix machines that came after.

http://www.hultsfred.org/luxor.htm

Did you assemble 68000 code on the ABC 80? Why??? Was there a crossassembler?

Damn! Now I'm the one who's half-a-world away...<drooling>...
Which one are you drooling about? The ABC, the IBM or both?

I might have an ABC 80 to spare... If you're interested

Zeela, I don't think that I want another computer, What I do need is the cable that connects the ABC80 to an ABC890 expansion unit. And the cable that connects the floppy disk drive card to the ABC830 disk drive unit. If you have any of these I'd be interested.

The following list is not quite what you are after, but quite nice anyway :) Though it does not list the "diab" unix machines that came after.

http://www.hultsfred.org/luxor.htm

I was looking for a little more production related information, but there does not seem to be much much of that information around anymore.

Did you assemble 68000 code on the ABC 80? Why??? Was there a crossassembler?
--T

Yes, we built a 68008 based single board computer and used the ABC80 to assemble programs with an assembler that we wrote in ABC80 Basic ;-) The ABC system we had only had a tape recorder to store programs so it was a bit of a hassle to work with but it worked. In the end we had a 68008 SBC that did some really nice blinkenlights.

/P

Back to the real topic here...

A friend of mine will go get the 'puters for me sometime next week! Now all I need is to make room for them...

Back to the real topic here...

A friend of mine will go get the 'puters for me sometime next week! Now all I need is to make room for them...

Cool :) At least they don't go into the bin. I'm curious what is on the magnet cards, be sure to dump them to paper :)

Back