• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Forum Issues, Let's work together to determine some details

vcf tracert.jpg here's a tracert. I can't copy the text from my command prompt so here is an image instead. Seems to be packet loss.

Hi all,
I have been reading about forum issues and following the threads related. Thanks everyone for reporting in. Problem is, when I use the forum I don't have any slowness. So, I'd like to ask that we use this thread to help me track down the cause of the slowness. Please report issues as follows

1. Date and time of the issue

2. Function effected (for example: My reply post hangs after I submit, it took 45 seconds before the screen refreshed and my post appeared in the list")

3. Basics of your set up (for example: Windows 10 with Firefox 59.0.2)

4. Your location / name of your ISP or upstream provider

NOTE: If you have a lot of tech details beyond this simple 4 point test, for now just hold onto that level of stuff. I am looking for a pattern more so than the details of a ping or tracert.

Thanks
Bill

1 ) 4/28/2018 9:00 pm pst

2 ) "http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum.php" Took about 1.5 minuets to start loading. Pressed Quick Links-today's posts. Took more than 1 minuet and another minuet for this thread to start loading. Pressed reply with quote. Took more than two minuets for the reply page to come up. This is as bad as I've seen latency wise.

3 ) Windows 7 Firefox 59.0.2 64 bit

4 ) Albany Oregon Comcast

Time for a new host?!

1) 4/28/2018 9:33 pm pst

2) The forum home page, and each page of this thread. I didn't time it, but felt like ~ 10 seconds.

3) Windows 10 Firefox 59.0.2

4) Eugene Oregon Comcast

For what it's worth, the performance issues feel reminiscent of what I experienced with my own server when it was having database issues. Most Forum and content management software is heavily database dependent this time. A database query that is dropped or take an abnormally long time leads to a page that takes an abnormally long time to generate. This is based on my own observation. If it is indeed the case that others are experiencing no problems whatsoever, and it's related to geographic location, then that would certainly point to network connectivity rather than database.

ETA: It took 20 seconds to post this message, after which the software popped up a confirmation for leaving the page (which seems unusual, as the message was properly posted)

ETA2: Editing in the preceding ETA comment just took ~ 60 seconds to save.

1) 29th April 2018 between 9:00 am and 12:00 Uk BST time zone

2) most of the stuff I have done this morning (generally bringing up forum pages) have taken between 20 and 30 seconds. The absolute best time (only once) was 15 seconds. The worst was 45 seconds. Login in (to post this message) took 50 seconds (but was 'doing something' for up to 69 seconds. Replying to this thread took 54 seconds to get into the editor.

3) iOS 10.2.1 with Safari.

4) UK SKY.

This is the worst it has been all week.

I will let you know how long it took to post this and I will check the forum out from my iMac after lunch.

Dave

1) 29th April 2018 12:32 UK BST

2) I used e-bay on my iPad after my last post - all fine. Switched to my iMac. Loading VCFED to the "what's new' page - 30 seconds. Opening this thread - 35 seconds. Logging in to VCFED - 59 seconds to display the page, but it was doing something else for a further 10 seconds as I couldn't use anything. replying to this thread - 46 seconds to enter the editor.

3) OS/X 10.9.5 on an iMac Safari 9.1.1 (yes, I know I need to update it...)

4) UK/SKY.

Everything seems to be much slower today than it was yesterday.

Bill, thanks for looking into this.

Dave

51 seconds topmost my last reply.

36 seconds to 'reply to thread' and open the editor window.

Other website access still OK - so probably not my infrastructure at home.

Dave

1. 2018/04/29 12:42:35 UK BST

2. Opening the forum, http://www.vcfed.org/forum
It took 1 min 35 seconds to open the form and a further 22 seconds until the page loaded completely.

3. Windows 7 with FireFox 59.0.2

4. UK, Sky broadband

Access to other websites working fine.

It then took 1 min 25 seconds for the "Reply to this thread" to load.

Today the forum i slow as molasses. And I get some error messages:
Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily busy, try again later!
from the LiteSpeed Web Server.

2.25pm GMT "New Posts" 1min load time,

2.33 "Reply to [this] thread" 30s load time.

IP: 104.238.169.52
ISP: London Trust Media Inc
average ping: time=181ms TTL=52

running Vista (blush) FF:21

If things suddenly improve I'll edit post, now 2.40.

OK, lets try this on for size.

Step 1: Upgrade to VB5
Step 2: Migrate the site to a hosted vBCloud GOLD instance: forums.vcfed.org
Step 3: Enter my credit card info for the $720/year fee
Step 4: Consider it an annual donation to VCFed
Step 5: Rest assured the forum will never leave VCFed control
Step 6: Put a base-URL auto-redirect on the old sh*tty server to the new URLs.
Step 7: Declare 'mission accomplished'

-Alan

The below is what I saw a few minutes ago. I'm presently in a condo at Fort Myers Beach, FL using an Xfinity modem and getting about 67 down and 7 up. It's was taking about 30-45 seconds to load a page. Quite possibly someone rebooted the server after the below outage, it now seems only slightly faster. How efficient is it to have the server positioned in Australia, when most of the the resources and management are in the US? Not criticizing, just curious. I'm with Alan; I'm willing to chip in a little to keep this invaluable setup afloat.

View attachment 45269

P.S. If this system were mine, I'd want to be able to get my hands on it when the need be.

Last edited:
Today is the Worst it's been for me, Database error's and 503 service unavailable pages, Just been able to log in but took an age, Using Firefox i see 'Waiting for vcfed.org' waiting waiting waiting until it times out or i get a database or 503 error. wonder if this will post.

1. 04/29/2018, 8:30 AM EDT

Received "Database Error" screen, multiple times

3. MacBook Pro, MacOS 10.13.4, Safari 11.1 browser

4. Bedford, NH, Comcast/Xfinity cable

It then took 30+ seconds for the "Reply to this thread" to load.

smp

1. 04/29/2018, 8:30 AM EDT

Received "Database Error" screen, multiple times

3. MacBook Pro, MacOS 10.13.4, Safari 11.1 browser

4. Bedford, NH, Comcast/Xfinity cable

Now, at 11:45 AM EDT it took 30+ seconds for the "Reply to this thread" to load.

smp

-Alan
Change Step 1 to "Migrate to Xenforo 2" and I think you've got a solution that can't be beat. Of course you'd have to eliminate Step 2 and lower the cost of Step 3.

-Alan

We have the resources financially. What we're fighting against is the hosting company, which changed recently and really doesn't know what is going on or give a crap.

I can assume that this is a recommendation for vBCloud as a hosting company? (If it comes to that ...)

Back