• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Forum migration and MAJOR update!

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Hello folks,

This weekend we will be migrating hosts for all of the www.vcfed.org properties and, in the process, we will be upgrading the forum software from our current 4.2.5 version to the latest version 5 release.

This upgrade will add some significant new features and will make the forums more mobile friendly, BUT it will also change the look and feel of the forum fairly significantly.

Please be prepared to adjust to some new things in your beloved vintage computer hangout.

Also note that we will lock the old site prior to starting the migration and it will not be unlocked until the DNS propagate and the upgrades are complete. That will probably mean 6-8 hours of downtime if all goes well.

Feel free to discuss below. :)

Can you look into adding an optional secure (via an SSL cert) of the site and forum? It would be as simple as making both https://vcfed.org and http://vcfeg.org available, working options, and people could choose which version to use just by adding or deleting the "s" from the URL.

Currently the HTTPS version does weird things with formatting (I think it has to do with some elements coming in from non-secure connections), and most links just refer back to the non-secure version of the site. I am just not comfortable with my password being sent across the web in plane text everytime I load a page.

Will this migration, like the migration from vintage-computer.net also cause all of the links to other pages to break? I spent a lot of time re-working my blog links.

Will this migration, like the migration from vintage-computer.net also cause all of the links to other pages to break? I spent a lot of time re-working my blog links.

Sounds like they are keeping the domain this time, so I doubt it will break your links, provided they point to vcfed.org (I am guessing, based on the need for DNS propagation before the unlock).

Just a quick note - we're going to delay this migration for a week to make sure we get things right. Hopefully no more.

No, the migration won't break links. We're moving the whole domain to a new host but keeping the domain (vcfed.org) itself.

Yes we are planning on implementing an SSL certificate at some point. It won't be a part of this migration.

Back