• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found an IBM 360 for sale

Either I'm saving a bundle for one of the most compact S/360's ever made or I'm paying way too much for what is just the ECP and nowhere near close to even the CPU.

shameless self promotion is shameless.

I am ok with shameless self promotion. What I am not ok with is flagrant deception. OP "found" the thing on Ebay? Why not just say he put it on there and thought we might be interested? Why did he have to start out with an obvious deception?

Last edited:
Quibbling. As long as the thing is real and available, it's okay.

Is this in reference to my comment? If so then how would it be a quibble? Ebay (and other online sales places) require a fair amount if trust on both sides. As a buyer I need to trust that the seller won't scam me and make off with my money, something that happens all too often on ebay. So to promote your ebay listing with a deceptional post is a VERY poor start in my books, so much so that I would choose not to buy from the OP, especially since he has very little feedback in ebay. After all if OP is willing to make deceive us about "finding" it then what else is he willing to fudge in the listing or the shipment?

My point was that on rare things--such as a 360/65 operator's panel, you exercise due caution, verify the existence of the item (hint: ask someone from, say, Portland to drive over and verify it's actually there). Make sure it isn't stolen and ask where it really came from.

Not much different from buying a used car from a private party. Do your homework; let the item speak for itself. The seller could be Albert Schweitzer reincarnated, or he could be Satan himself. As a buyer of a rare item, you have to do some work.

My issue is that when a seller has started with a lie, I cannot trust anything else they say.

I have to agree with those who have expressed reservations. There's nothing wrong with promoting your ebay listings here - we even have a forum for it and, while I haven't done so yet, I might well in the future.

But if I do, I'll say "Hey, look what I'm selling!" rather than start out by BSing folks.

Besides the questionable post, that thing sold for $2,025.00.
Who buys these things? Collectors, or businesses who are actually using mainframe equipment still? Just curious what the market actually is.

As far as I know there are no operation S/360's so not onw still in use except in a museum. That will have gone to a collector, or perhaps a museum. I am actually surprised its gone as low as it did as whilst it didn't work it looks clean and complete apart from the missing flag from the top.

As far as I know there are no operation S/360's so not onw still in use except in a museum. That will have gone to a collector, or perhaps a museum. I am actually surprised its gone as low as it did as whilst it didn't work it looks clean and complete apart from the missing flag from the top.

It's not a complete S/360 CPU--it's just the operator's panel from a mod 65. The price sounds about right for what it is.

I could see where a panel for a 195 might fetch a pretty penny. It's just so damned impressive with all those blinkenlights.

f00230m.jpg

Back