• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found lots of IBM PC/XTs

or does the picture move around on the screen?
Yes it does. Sometimes it is stable for couple of seconds at most (sometimes less, sometimes it is not stable at all) but then it moves a bit to any direction and resumes right back.

And are you sure its not the EGA card or the connection from the monitor to the card?
I only tried it with the Video 7 EGA card. That is the only EGA card i have but i have CGA cards and one Tridend VGA card with 9-pin connector. I could try those when i have time.

First post has been updated with more photos. Some items are now marked as sold.

I tested the EGA monitor with CGA card. It worked fine and looked great. This means that the EGA card is faulty or the monitor has problems only in 350 scanline mode. I'll test the monitor with Trident VGA Enhancer when i have time.

Total Hardware 99 shows only Analog/TTL selection. Shouldn't there be switch settings for MDA/CGA/EGA and VGA? I don't want to risk damaging the monitor with wrong type.

There are only selections for MONO, CGA, and NONE. What you want is to set it to NONE, because EGA/VGA (correct me if I'm wrong, I know I'm right with VGA) have their own BIOS to handle the stuff while CGA and MONO are dumb hardware that the system BIOS has the routines to control.

There are only selections for MONO, CGA, and NONE. What you want is to set it to NONE, because EGA/VGA (correct me if I'm wrong, I know I'm right with VGA) have their own BIOS to handle the stuff while CGA and MONO are dumb hardware that the system BIOS has the routines to control.

I think the switches on the video board are the ones in question, not the ones on the motherboard.

Anyways, I have a different version of the TVGA 8800 card (it's 16-bit), but I can't guarantee that the switches represent the same, allthough they problably does. The settings for my card can be seen here: http://th99.dyndns.org/v/U-Z/50084.htm

I wasn't able to set the Trident switches so that 5154 would display any picture. I tried the EGA and CGA switch settings and the monitor was out of sync based on what little appeared on the screen.

I did try the 5154 again with CGA adapter and i also tried it on Tandy 1000 SX. It seems the 5154 does have some sort of fault. I did see the problems again but this time they were nowhere near as bad as with the EGA adapter i first tried. Here and here are two videos about the problems (hope you have compatible codecs).

There are two other things i noticed. Contrast knob seems to be broken (it does nothing) and there seemed to be too much brightness on Tandy so the image appeared too blurry.

I'd like to get the 5154 working since it produces very sharp picture, significantly better than on the Commodore 1084S-P1 that i'm currently using.

I'd like to get the Trident to output CGA or EGA signal even though i now know that the 5154 is faulty. The Trident has the standard 25.175 and 28.321 MHz crystals used by VGA. It also has a third crystal, 40 MHz, that is no doubt used by Trident SVGA implementations.

The third crystal is socketed while the standard VGA crystals are soldered. Could it be that the socketed crystal must be replaced in order to use MDA, CGA or EGA output?

I have a Trident 8800CS and documented the switch settings somewhere in a post on this forum, if the above linked ones don't work (I was unable to find accurate ones for my specific card online).

My card supports MDA, CGA, EGA, VGA/SVGA all without changing crystal, but that sounds like a valid theory.

My Trident 8800CS has four crystalls: 25.175MHz, 28.322MHz, 16.257MHz and 44.9MHz.

I know for sure that my card does all of the standard IBM modes (MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA).

There are two other things i noticed. Contrast knob seems to be broken (it does nothing) ......

On the 5154 you need to pull the contrast knob out (click) to make adjustments.
Also the contrast doesnt always seem to work so I think its specific to the video mode you're running.
Try it with the color tests in the diagnostics diskette.

I checked out the video's you made of the problem but its hard to say what the issue
could be. I see two problems. the glitches or jumping in the picture, and the
stripe moving slowly through the picture.

Start with the easy stuff first.
Have you checked the connection pins on the cable running from the
monitor to the card ? If you wiggle the cable or connector where it attaches to the card
while an image is displayed does it produce any defects in the picture ?
Sometimes the pins get corroded and dont make a good connection. You
can even use some electrical contact cleaner , spray a little on the pins,
insert/remove the connector a few times to clean the pins. Let it sit
for 30 minutes or so the allow the cleaner to evaporate before powering back on.

Also, sometimes the brightness or contrast controls get dirty over time and turning
them will make the picture jump. Try rotating these controls back and forth a few times
to see if it improves the picture.

The horizontal stripe moving through the picture is strange, I've never seen
this symptom before.

I have a few 5154's :) Most of the problems in these monitors is usually caused
by leaky capacitors in the power supply. I've replaced all capacitors in two of my
5154's power supplies and they work perfectly. The problem is that they used
capacitors rated at 85 degrees C, and these monitors run really hot.
I used capacitors rated at 105 C when I replaced so they should hold up better.

The horizontal stripe moving through the picture is strange, I've never seen
this symptom before.

That is just something related to recording the video (mismatching refresh rates or such). It does not appear on the monitor, only on the video. I should have mentioned it.
I'll try to clean the connector and rotate the controls. I'll try to replace the capacitors if nothing else helps. How many capacitors are there?

My Trident 8800CS has four crystalls: 25.175MHz, 28.322MHz, 16.257MHz and 44.9MHz.

16.257 MHz crystal can be found from MDA and EGA adapters and your Trident seems to have it too. Are all the crystals soldered?
Maybe i should remove crystal from the broken MDA adapter and try it with my Trident.

Back